Possible mantis tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depends on your size and perspective. If you were miniaturized to his prey size, he wouldn't be funny at all! Would make a good scifi movie. Attack of the Mantis Shrimp.

Depends on your size and perspective. If you were miniaturized to his prey size, he wouldn't be funny at all! Would make a good scifi movie. Attack of the Mantis Shrimp.

That video did make me want one! Seems like they have anger problems! I love it!!!

It'll be a bit until I can even cycle. Kinda got thrown for a loop when we realized the sump doesn't fit. Sooooo maybe going to do a HOB fuge and skimmer. Or maybe just that nice 5 stage Fluval HOB filter and a skimmer. I'm waiting on my tax return to buy all this stuff. Also I need a place to put the tank. I literally have no room in the places I wanted it. So this week I'll try different places.

You know where this leads. Tanks all over the house. One in each closet. Suddenly your the crazy fish lady. I only say this from personnel experience. :)

Thanks! Does the image show up or the link? The image shows up on my screen. Even though it's a photo bucket link. Yeah I got the tank for $170. Not bad. It's acrylic. The stand is too.

Thanks! Does the image show up or the link? The image shows up on my screen. Even though it's a photo bucket link. Yeah I got the tank for $170. Not bad. It's acrylic. The stand is too.

Yeah it showed up for me! I want one! That's gonna be a happy mantis!

Haha yeah he will be. Haha didn't notice parts of both my kids are in the pic. Can't do anything without them involved. Still trying to figure out what to do about filtration. Suggestions? Def a skimmer. I really think the fluval hob will work but is it worth it to constantly change media?

Haha yeah he will be. Haha didn't notice parts of both my kids are in the pic. Can't do anything without them involved. Still trying to figure out what to do about filtration. Suggestions? Def a skimmer. I really think the fluval hob will work but is it worth it to constantly change media?

That's a bit out of my league. I'm not a sw person here

How's it set up? I assume it's drilled with a overflow or is it a integrated tank with just the section in the back to work with. Is there room for a small sump?

IMO for the Mantis tank I would keep it simple. I would fill it with suitable reef substrate for digging (aragonite IMO) and I would have a lot of live rock in the tank. Might even consider growing some cool macro algae. I would run the biggest skimmer I could fit in the system. Add a bag of GFO or any of the suitable organic reducers as a backup and your good to go.

Last edited:
I don't want you to damage your tank, but drilling a return and overflow to a small sump is what I would do. Otherwise a HOB is the next best option.

Actually now that I measured this tank kinda sucks. The bottom where the sump would go only has like 19"x9"x18" room. 9" wide is not good. Can't find any sumps that small. :(

Back
Top Bottom