Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-03-2005, 05:23 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

A skimmer is always gonna be beneficial. On a very simple FO setup that's not over stocked, or not full of messy carnivores, a skimmer will have less to remove, and thus its not a critical piece of equipment.

I have issues with the fact that the manufacturer says the standard Prism is for tanks up to 100gallons. I only tried it on a 40gallon, against the advice of several people who said I'd need the Pro for my tank...and I have a light bioload, certainly not overstocked.

Old 01-03-2005, 05:49 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thats exactly another reason I bought it... it says up to 100 gallon so i figured a 20 gallon would be no problem. I guess I'll just play it by ear and if I see that its not working out then I'll get a better one.

Thanks for all the help

Old 01-03-2005, 08:10 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would consider a protien skimmer one of those necessities. If you have fish, or anything in your tank that creates wasted material, its either going to be filtered by liverock/filter system, or its going to float to the top. I remember the 150gallon without a skimmer... 8O ..worse enough, the owner purchased one of those Prisms. Ugh.. that thing pee'd me off. It was so difficult to tweak it just right. Especially hanging off the back of a huge 150gallon where you can't effectively see the water level. Regardless, I was always curious how some of these people got their water so clear/removed floating gunk -- and even with the Prism it equated to water that is MUCH more clear.

My tank has a custom skimmer... and yes, I can say there is a huge difference in quality, given my skimmer is also a bacteria tank with the bioballs. I just had to find the right power pump (rio800 was perfect) so that it didn't dribble down the back of the tank *smirk*. I'll need to take pictures and post them eventually.. of both tanks.

G'luck with it either way, you'll be annoyed setting it up, but happy with the results nontheless.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:33 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well my skimmer seems to be doing the job . I bought 10 pounds of live rock 3 days ago and today there is about half an inch of brown water in the collection cup. So far so good.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:41 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wonderful!

Tags
skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com