Problem with tanks, but I don't know what

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aravynandrea

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I guess I'll start with the basics.

1. 29 gallon saltwater.
2. Ph level is between 7.8 and 8.4
3. my nitrate and nitrite is 0
4. My alkilinity is between 180 and 300
5. My salinity is stuck between 1.012 1.014
6. the temp is 78 degrees.

I've had small salt water puffers alone in the tank, I've had clownfish in the tank, and now I've had Damsels.

One puffer died after 7 months. one died in 12 hours. one died in 2 days, the clowns died in two days

and now the two of my three damsels are gone (well one is gone and one is going to be gone shortly). the electric blue one looks pretty ok, but the black one with white spots died in a matter of an hour, and shortly after the black and white striped one is on its way out. So I bet when I wake up tomorrow they'll probably all be dead, even the blue one who looks ok.

what's going wrong? I know the salinity is a tad low, but I can't seem to get it up there. I took out two gallons of water and added new water with three tablespoons of salt like I was instructed by the pet store, but for some reason the salinity is still not getting up to where it should be. but I've been told 1.014 isn't that dangerously low where all my fish should keep dying like this.

especially hardy starter fish. so what's going wrong?

Are you using a Refractometer or Hydrometer to check your salinity? If you are using a Hydrometer are you sure your hydrometer is working properly? Have you tested your salinity with another Hydrometer or from a LFS?
What type of puffers?
When did you start your SW tank & how long did you let it cycle?
How are you acclimating the fish?

It sound like the one with white spots on it may of had Ich............

Back
Top Bottom