Propagation of LPS corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nanoluvr

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys and gals,
I have several lps corals that I would like to propagate. I have experience w/ propagating soft corals, but not stonies. I have some Candy cane, hammer, and frogspawn Euphyllia spp. that I would like to harvest. Where on the skeleton is it best to cut? Is it best to use a heavy bone cutter, or what tool? All input is appreciated!!

I seen them cut with a Saw right down the middle with no damage to them, But I've seen that done with a lot of Experts. From what I heard LPS coral are pretty hardy. but I would have the slightest clue. Let some of these guys/gals tell you whats good.

Frogspawn, hammer, torch, trupmet and other similar corals can be cut on the skeleton. You want to cut them below any flesh. I just fragged a piece a couple days ago. I guess when I do again this weekend I'll have to video it and post it. A dremel is the best way to do it.

Frogspawn, hammer, torch, trupmet and other similar corals can be cut on the skeleton. You want to cut them below any flesh. I just fragged a piece a couple days ago. I guess when I do again this weekend I'll have to video it and post it. A dremel is the best way to do it.

That would be a Sweet demonstration Ziggy I would like to see that. (y)

Or if you can't take the piece out of your tank, a new/clean mini hacksaw works fine too. The bone cutter will work assuming you can get it open around the stalk/skeleton. If you use a saw, just take your time and don't apply too much pressure or you'll break the skeleton instead of cut it. And the break might not go where you want it too. I inadvertantly fragged more of my torch that way. On any of the branching corals, like Ziggy said, just make sure you cut below any living tissue.

Thanks kurt and ziggy for all of your help....it sounds pretty straightforward. I would love to see your demo, Ziggy. That would be great!

I guess I'm going to have to get the video camera out this weekend.

I need to frag some of that stuff anyway.

Yes, Zigster.......where is that demo. Lol, I'm sure you have plenty other things to do, but I will be forever grateful when you do post it.

I haven't forgotten about you guys. I am still planning on getting that video made. I have a ton of Frogspawn and Trumpet that need to be chopped up so pleanty to see.

Life happens and other things take control and the tank gets pushed aside sometimes. Right now is one of those times. I've got several things going on at the same time and unfortunately my tank is suffering because of it. I will get that video made and posted I promise!

I haven't forgotten about you guys. I am still planning on getting that video made. I have a ton of Frogspawn and Trumpet that need to be chopped up so pleanty to see.

Life happens and other things take control and the tank gets pushed aside sometimes. Right now is one of those times. I've got several things going on at the same time and unfortunately my tank is suffering because of it. I will get that video made and posted I promise!

Understood I know what you mean.... Whenever you have time Little Buddy... :-D

Back
Top Bottom