Protein Skimmer advice needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clown Monarch

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm going to turn my 44 gallon pentagon into a reef tank. I think I've figured a way to build a hood to fit (7) 26w PC lights for about 4w per gallon - which will be excellent if it works.

I need advice on a skimmer. I won't have a wet/dry or much space between the tank and the wall (a 44 pentagon fits into a corner). I'm thinking of something I can put directly into the tank and fit in the back corner, hopefully hidden by live rock and coral.

Any suggestions?

you could probibly do it with an in-sump style remora or bak-pak. I don't know of a particular brand that has an in-tank style skimmer. what are you doing about mechanicle filtration?

I would suggest spending the extra money and going with the Aqua C Remora hang on skimmer. I went with the BAK PAK about a year ago because it was cheaper.....now I am regreting it because it stopped working. I just bought a remora and I love it. It may be a little bit more expensive, but it is worth it in the long run.

The problem is that I have no room (and don't want room) behind the tank for a hang-on - and I don't want a sump. I was going to run my Fluval canister for mechanical filtration.

What is the difference between just the regular old clear tube with a small powerhead and one of the $150-$200 skimmers?

a huge difference. in both how well they can skim, and the amount of tinkering they need to continue skimming.

I thought my prizm wasn't all that bad, but lately it's been giving me fits...and it's not even 3 months old. One day it loses it's prime and doesn't skim for 18 hours...the next day it overfills the collection cup in 10 mins.

considering my tank size, I went with the cpr. only $100, 2 year warranty, not a lot of parts to break, and the pumps they use on them are cheap/easy to find should it fail. the remora's do sound nicer, but if cost is such a huge factor, maybe the cpr is more up your alley.

I found it - a cpr bak-pak?

Can I place this unit directly INTO the tank itself? I notice it says for in-sump use only - I'm assuming that only means it has to be under water.

Geez, the thing is huge though. 5" x 7" footprint? Anything smaller that would work for 44 gallons?

Back
Top Bottom