Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

7-10 is for the sump. You want around 50x overflow for a reef.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by crister13
7-10 is for the sump. You want around 50x overflow for a reef.
Thanks, I knew It had to be something different.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I have a 750 gph powerhead and a 150 gph pump that I'm temp using as a powerhead in my 35. Different places in your tank will have different flow. Depends on your rockscape and where you have the powerheads. Too much flow can be bad especially with a sandbed. I plan on swapping my 150 gph pump out for another 750 koriala or maybe a 510. Haven't decided yet but I need better circulation. My sandbed should be fine when I get it in a tinker with it to find that sweet spot. Check for dead areas where food and debris settle or swirl like a funnel.

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:38 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87 View Post
I have a 750 gph powerhead and a 150 gph pump that I'm temp using as a powerhead in my 35. Different places in your tank will have different flow. Depends on your rockscape and where you have the powerheads. Too much flow can be bad especially with a sandbed. I plan on swapping my 150 gph pump out for another 750 koriala or maybe a 510. Haven't decided yet but I need better circulation. My sandbed should be fine when I get it in a tinker with it to find that sweet spot. Check for dead areas where food and debris settle or swirl like a funnel.
This is where I start getting confused wouldn't the 30 gallon need more than 750gph since its a reef tank ?
Old 09-09-2012, 11:53 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist

So how about if I just run a canister filter instead of hobf
Old 09-10-2012, 02:58 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseramentol
So how about if I just run a canister filter instead of hobf
I am not an expert on canister filters but I know they make canisters that have both biological and mechanical filtration. So I don't see why not.

Yes you might need more than the 750, technically you would need 1500 per the 50x rule. But you also have to judge it by the corals that you plan on keeping as well as what 1500gph does in your tank. Two 750's from koralia create a wide spread out flow and you might be ok but your substrate depending on what you have might get blown around like a hurricane. Just from my experience. I hope someone with a 30g will chime in and give you better advise.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:04 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racnakd View Post
I am not an expert on canister filters but I know they make canisters that have both biological and mechanical filtration. So I don't see why not.

Yes you might need more than the 750, technically you would need 1500 per the 50x rule. But you also have to judge it by the corals that you plan on keeping as well as what 1500gph does in your tank. Two 750's from koralia create a wide spread out flow and you might be ok but your substrate depending on what you have might get blown around like a hurricane. Just from my experience. I hope someone with a 30g will chime in and give you better advise.
thats great info thanks a lot
Old 09-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Well 750 and 750 is 1500. I'm gonna be getting another 750 for my 35 gallon. It should be perfect for me and perhaps you as well. Only 5 gallon difference. Just don't have them pointed towards the sand and you'll br golden.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I've never used a canister filter but I read you really need to strive on keeping it very clean or you will have problems. As long as you research it a bit it should do great.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #30
Fish R friends, not food!

I would use the HOB with 2 550's. That is what I use in my standard 29 gallon reef and everything is going great. I used to have a canister filter on it and traded it out for a HOB. Much easier maintenance.

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, protein, protein skimmer, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com