Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
crister13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Princeton, NJ
Posts: 3,473
7-10 is for the sump. You want around 50x overflow for a reef.
__________________

__________________
crister13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Racnakd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by crister13
7-10 is for the sump. You want around 50x overflow for a reef.
Thanks, I knew It had to be something different.
__________________

__________________
Racnakd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
paul87's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,267
I have a 750 gph powerhead and a 150 gph pump that I'm temp using as a powerhead in my 35. Different places in your tank will have different flow. Depends on your rockscape and where you have the powerheads. Too much flow can be bad especially with a sandbed. I plan on swapping my 150 gph pump out for another 750 koriala or maybe a 510. Haven't decided yet but I need better circulation. My sandbed should be fine when I get it in a tinker with it to find that sweet spot. Check for dead areas where food and debris settle or swirl like a funnel.
__________________

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:38 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
joseramentol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: miami,florida
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87 View Post
I have a 750 gph powerhead and a 150 gph pump that I'm temp using as a powerhead in my 35. Different places in your tank will have different flow. Depends on your rockscape and where you have the powerheads. Too much flow can be bad especially with a sandbed. I plan on swapping my 150 gph pump out for another 750 koriala or maybe a 510. Haven't decided yet but I need better circulation. My sandbed should be fine when I get it in a tinker with it to find that sweet spot. Check for dead areas where food and debris settle or swirl like a funnel.
This is where I start getting confused wouldn't the 30 gallon need more than 750gph since its a reef tank ?
__________________
joseramentol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:53 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
joseramentol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: miami,florida
Posts: 108
So how about if I just run a canister filter instead of hobf
__________________
joseramentol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:58 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Racnakd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseramentol
So how about if I just run a canister filter instead of hobf
I am not an expert on canister filters but I know they make canisters that have both biological and mechanical filtration. So I don't see why not.

Yes you might need more than the 750, technically you would need 1500 per the 50x rule. But you also have to judge it by the corals that you plan on keeping as well as what 1500gph does in your tank. Two 750's from koralia create a wide spread out flow and you might be ok but your substrate depending on what you have might get blown around like a hurricane. Just from my experience. I hope someone with a 30g will chime in and give you better advise.
__________________
Racnakd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:04 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
joseramentol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: miami,florida
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racnakd View Post
I am not an expert on canister filters but I know they make canisters that have both biological and mechanical filtration. So I don't see why not.

Yes you might need more than the 750, technically you would need 1500 per the 50x rule. But you also have to judge it by the corals that you plan on keeping as well as what 1500gph does in your tank. Two 750's from koralia create a wide spread out flow and you might be ok but your substrate depending on what you have might get blown around like a hurricane. Just from my experience. I hope someone with a 30g will chime in and give you better advise.
thats great info thanks a lot
__________________
joseramentol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
paul87's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,267
Well 750 and 750 is 1500. I'm gonna be getting another 750 for my 35 gallon. It should be perfect for me and perhaps you as well. Only 5 gallon difference. Just don't have them pointed towards the sand and you'll br golden.
__________________

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
paul87's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,267
I've never used a canister filter but I read you really need to strive on keeping it very clean or you will have problems. As long as you research it a bit it should do great.
__________________

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #30
Fish R friends, not food!
 
spoonman's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 3,720
I would use the HOB with 2 550's. That is what I use in my standard 29 gallon reef and everything is going great. I used to have a canister filter on it and traded it out for a HOB. Much easier maintenance.
__________________

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
problem, protein, protein skimmer, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.