Protopalythoa and Zoanthus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marc118

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ive been digging through my books so I know how to spot the difference when buying them. I can see the difference, palythoa seem to have larger polyps with "stringy"tentacles and have sand encrusted body columns. Where as the zoanthus have brighter colors, smaller polyps and shorter blunt tentacles with no sand encrusted body.

The thing that struck me as out of wack is the common names for palythoa and zoanthus were the same with a few variants. But both had common names of button polyps.....hmmm

This could be deceiving to the untrained eye or beginner reef aquarist. My point being, palythoa have a very potent toxin (.004mg will make you drop)...I have been reading up a lot because im a worry wort I guess you could say...theres two sides of every story.

Anyways, just struck me as odd they share the same common names, when they are two very different zoanthids.

Oral disks of the Protopalyhoa sp. will tend to be broad and flat. The tentacles originate from the side and protrude outward, not upward like Zoa sp. Colonies are not as large and are more lightly populated as well. ID can a very tough with these animals.

Back
Top Bottom