Pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

two11devan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Need a good pump for the return portion of my sump. Its a 120 gal tank and a 30 gal sump. Im guessing I need between 1200 gph to 1800 gph flow rate for my tank. I only have one return hole drilled at one end of the tank. What will give me the best flow in the tank? (the return will be t'd off to a fuge in the sump as well). The pump that came with the tank is a rio 3100 i think. I want to get a new one and think a little more flow would be better. Any suggestions/thoughts?

Mag 12 or 18 will do the job. IMO a Mag Drive is the best submersible pump you can buy.

I bought a "Pond Master" from Lowe's. 500GPH model. The only ones I could find locally.

Its pretty heavy-duty (made for year-round use outdoors) and SW safe. Prices are decent too. Its a little large, compared to other aquarium-type pumps though.

I also have a chiller that I have the option of using should I need it. I need to account for that when I'm plumbing this thing. Where should I have it in the system? I would guess it should or could go in line with the return to the tank? "T" the return line into the fuge to spill back into the return section, then plumb out to the chiller and from the chiller to the tank? Any other suggestions as to where to have it in the system? Not sure if I am going to need it all year round. If not, then I'd like to have it available to plug in and use when I need it in the hotter months.

Ok, so should I get the 1200 or 1800? As of now, I only have one return going into the tank.

I would go with the 12, u will get plenty of flow with that. Most web sites that sell them also give the flow charts of how much water will be pumped at how many ft. The i am putting a 12 on my 120g and i have 2 returns so i think you will have more than enough flow with one return. Bigalsonline.com is having a sale on the Mag12 for 89$.

Back
Top Bottom