Purple tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmdw4587

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all! I have always wanted a purple tang but I wasn't looking to spend $160 dollars on one so i haven't taken the plunge. I went to one of my LFS tonight and much to my surprise I found a beautiful 3" specimen that was mismarked! I couldn't pass it up I got my beauty for $40!!!!!

I acclimated for over an hour and everything is going great. He's eating and seems very happy to be out of his tiny cell. I started reading some forums online and have read many horror stories of the purple tang being very aggressive and killing other fish in the aquarium.

This got me very worried because I have a changing Emperor angel (my pride and joy), a pair of tomato clowns and a sailfin tang. I don't want to lose any of them.

My question is this. I have plenty of live rock in my 100 gallon and is there any way I can try and prevent any aggression before it starts?

Plenty of hiding places can ease the damage. but expect aggression with the sailfin in my opinion but then again you might not have any problems at all. Its a risky and your have to see how it pans out. Observe them closely. Watch for aggressive behavior or signs of fighting. Missing bits of fins, cuts, etc.

I read that putting a mirror in the tank could help prevent aggression but thinking about it wouldn't it just stress my fish out? Have anyone heard about this method or had any experience with it?

You could move the rocks around so that all your fish have to get use to the new setup eliminating old territory.

Patrick93 said:
Bigger tank, more room and hiding spots

Well I have been wanting a bigger tank lol this may just give me a reason to get one

Crisis averted!!!! The sailfin and purple tussled a little at first but now they seem to be best buddies and the purple I leaving everything else alone!!!! Yay !!!!!!!!

Warning on the mirror treatment, when i first put a small lawnmower blenny in my tank. my kole tang chased him relentlessly, mirror attached. Couple hours later poor tang broke out w/ ich too much stress. Luckily the tang was strong and ate thru it.that was 6 months ago..all is fine now. Fyi

cmdw4587 said:
Crisis averted!!!! The sailfin and purple tussled a little at first but now they seem to be best buddies and the purple I leaving everything else alone!!!! Yay !!!!!!!!

Dont toot the horn too quick, they become aggressive as they grow and into adulthood. Youll have to keep an eye on them for a long time.

What I have always noticed is, if I keep the algae clips stocked with sheets it seems to keep them calmer.

Yeah i think it's pretty neat. I'll do one later when they wake up. Lol. I've only had him about a month. He settled in pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom