Purple Up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbsifers21

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has any on ever used the additive purple up? The LFS guy recommended it to me because i purchased some live rock from him with some purple coraline algae on it. Does it make that much of a difference? Is it any good? Let me know if you have used it. Thanx

It is good if all you know of coralline algae is that it is purple or all you know of chemistry is pH. If you understand and will test for Ca, Alk/KH, and Mg and will supplement them individually as needed, you will have better results. If you are not in to stoney corals trying out the Purple Up is fine.

Fishguy2727 said:
It is good if all you know of coralline algae is that it is purple or all you know of chemistry is pH. If you understand and will test for Ca, Alk/KH, and Mg and will supplement them individually as needed, you will have better results. If you are not in to stoney corals trying out the Purple Up is fine.

Correct me If I am wrong but isn't purple up Basically a calcium dose with coralline algae spores?

My understanding is that it is a calcium and alkalinity supplement in one, hadn't heard about coralline algae spores before.

its a calcium and magnesium supplement with some strontium to help stimulate the growth of coralline algae. it seems to do a good job if you've already got alot of coralline in your system. i've been using it in my system to stimulate new coralline algae growth on some base rock i have. it seems to be working better for growing it then regular water changes

Thanks Gti_Leo. Nice to know there is someone here that will answer your question without also insulting you.

I have used purple up once or twice but it clouded my water. My friend uses it and his rocks are very nice he doesn't mind the cloudy water for a few hours.

joy13 said:
I have used purple up once or twice but it clouded my water. My friend uses it and his rocks are very nice he doesn't mind the cloudy water for a few hours.

I've used purple tech and purple up(same thing different name). They do suggest you add it when the lights are out because it does cloud your water for a little while. I also think its more to stimulate coralline that's already present. I've had good results with both products.

Thanks Gti_Leo. Nice to know there is someone here that will answer your question without also insulting you.

That wasn't an insult. That is how I explain it to customers at the shop I work at. If they understand Ca, Mg, KH, etc. then it isn't the right product for them, they need to focus on adjusting those chemicals individually, they will get better results. The people who only know coralline as 'the purple stuff' should stick to Purple Up.

Indeed, as was stated, purple up is simply a calcium and magnesium supplement. If your are properly testing and maintaining calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium levels in your aquarium, then purple up is a waste of money, as it will have no impact on your coralline algae growth (it already has everything it needs to grow). If on the other hand you are not testing and maintaining these levels, then you may indeed experience increased growth of coralline algae when using it.

Does purple up effect the growth of sps since it boosts the calcium? Just a random thought:brows:

Does purple up effect the growth of sps since it boosts the calcium? Just a random thought:brows:

Indeed it can IF you are not already testing and maintaining calcium levels in your aquarium. If you are, then it will have very little, if any additional affect.

i've always maintained my water the way it should be and all levels are where they should be, even still the purple up as seemed to sprout more growth among the rocks that were not covered. this is just what i've noticed but its possible that the purple up has actually done nothing as i only add it mayne twice a week

Back
Top Bottom