Putting Bubble Coral in Refuge (Lighting)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squado

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondering, if a coral in general (bubble in this case) needs a little time to heal and look more healthy, could it be put into my refuge. The refuge I have now has some feather caluerpa and 36 watts of flourescent lighting in a 4.7 gallon refuge with little or no water movement. Would this be enough light for the coral to heal? It would be about 6 inches from the light and the lights run 24/7. Does this sound like a good idea? TIA........

I don't see why not. Just so long as you said, it has little or no water movement it should be fine. Why do you want to move it from your main tank though. I know you want it to heal, but what hurt it? Is there something in the main tank that would prevent it from healing?

The reason why I want to move it is because it seems to be not openeing like it used to. The water levels havent changed that much, but it does not seem to be doing as well as it once once. I figured with a constant light and nothing to bother it it would do a little better. Oh, and one last question. My bubble corals bubbles arent getting as big as they once did, but now their are more smaller ones. Is this good or bad?

From what I hear they like little to no flow on them. I know with some of my corals that they wont open up very big if they dont like the flow or if they dont like the lighting. I would move it around and see if you can't get it to a place that it might like. Its not that its hurt its just not happy where its at.

I would recommend against putting it in the fuge. That is just one more stressful element your adding to an already stressed animal. By putting it in the fuge it will have to acclimate to a new light system, a longer photoperiod, AND new flow conditions. Placing the coral in one spot with the proper light and flow and letting it be is your best bet IMO/IME. Corals take time, up to a year for some more delicate specimens, to fully acclimate to new tanks/conditions. Shuffling it around just adds more stress to the situation.
I want to move it is because it seems to be not openeing like it used to.
How long have you had it and what are your water params?

By putting it in the fuge it will have to acclimate to a new light system, a longer photoperiod, AND new flow conditions

I forgot about the lighting. Going from a 12 hour schedule to a 24 hour schedule is a BIG change for the coral.

I agree that You should not move it to the fuge also. It`s not for no reason that he`s not acting right. These corals are animals and they must rest so a 24 hr light will definitely hurt it.Post your water parameters.

Right now my water parameters are as follows:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
Salinity 1.025
Ph 8.4 (end of light cycle)
Pho4 0

Heres the story: When I first got the coral the bubbles were massive and it was a lot fuller (weaker light at lfs). It stayed that way for about 2 weeks (with tentacles out at night) and then starting making its bubbles smaller with no tentacles at night. Their seem to be more smaller bubbles then befores situation where their were less bubbles but they were larger. Is the coral ok, acclimating, or beginning to show signs of weakness?

Back
Top Bottom