Q: About Carbon Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lamaseta17

Aquarium Advice Regular
I Have A Ehiem Wet/dry Canister Filter And A Regular Cascade Canister Filter On My 110g. Ive Heard That Chemipure Packs Can Last 6 Months, But Some People Say To Change Carbon Once A Week. Is This True?
I Have One Spotted Puffer
2 Tangs
4 Clownfish
1 Eel

Yes GAC is only good for 1 week or 2 at the most. Resins like chemipure last longer but I would suggest that 6 months is too long. Maybe half that at 3 months. I have used both IME

Thanks So Looks Like Im Changin The Carbon Lol Is There Something Better Than Chemipure

Alot of folks here use purigen which can be recharged by cleaning. I`ve never used it so I cant tell you how. But it can be used over and over.

Depending on water volume and amount of DOC present, carbon can either last a week or up to a month+ and also depending on the type of carbon used.

I use (1) 100ml Purigen pack and (1) Full Unit of Chemipure Elite in my Canister. I replace the Purigen every month, and the Chemipure Elite Bi-Monthly.

Does it help? I don't know. My Nitrates ave been <10ppm, no Phos, no Copper, no, Nitrite, no Ammonia...so it hasn't hurt....

I use Chemi-pure and change it on a regular basis. The key to any carbon based chemical filtration is to rinse it in RO/DI first. This will help preserve the media from removing impurities from the tap water.

I use purigen and it can be recharged. Of course this will depend on your bioload as to how often you will need to recharge.

I tried the recharge thing with the purigen. Even after soaking it in the Prime mixture I still smelled bleach. I tested the water and it showed no chlorine, but I wasnt comfortable. So I just throw it out and put a new one in.

Back
Top Bottom