Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-04-2008, 06:27 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierro Nights View Post
im sorry to hear about your emerald crab, i really like emeralds, i have two in my tank, one is just under an inch and the other is just over a half inch which i have not seen in a long time, i have not seen the smaller one in the past 4 or 5 weeks, after i introduced the larger emerald i didnt see the smaller one around much anymore but i did see it a few times. i have not seen a corpse anywhere and i dont think a hermit would attack an emerald, but i do know from watching my emeralds that they dig out small burros under rocks and hide under things. ive put sea weed in opposite sides of my tank and after a day all of it is gone, thats my only assurance that the emeralds are still around.
Thanks, My wife really misses them a lot. We had 2 also, one big and one small. The small one is the one that died, I would guess his main body size was 1/2". I feed them seaweed ( Nori) on a rock, and they love it. They are a lot of fun to watch pick around, and climb all over the rock, especially late in the evening. I would assume my wife will have a couple in her Aquapod once she gets water in it. Just got the OK from a trusted neighbor to put the 24 gal in our bedroom bay window( weight support issue). North facing, shaded window so no dirrect sunlight problem.

24 gal Aquapod (wife's) reef, now cycled and currently emptying my wallet.
joeyfromlawrenceville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:03 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Wink

Hi i had the same thing i bought a baby mithrax crab and i got up one day and there he was a complete whole crab lying on the bottom of my tank so he got a grand buriel and we forgot all about him that was seven/eight months ago well..... i was investigating in the rocks the other day seeing if i could spot anything new and low and behold guess who popped his claw out of a rock it was the biggest emerald crab he had molted and just tucked himself away in the rocks i asked my lfs about it and he said when they molt they do look like a whole crab the only way to tell is by opening the shell to see if it is hollow you might get a nice suprise one day

Old 12-05-2008, 06:31 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi View Post
Hi i had the same thing i bought a baby mithrax crab and i got up one day and there he was a complete whole crab lying on the bottom of my tank so he got a grand buriel and we forgot all about him that was seven/eight months ago well..... i was investigating in the rocks the other day seeing if i could spot anything new and low and behold guess who popped his claw out of a rock it was the biggest emerald crab he had molted and just tucked himself away in the rocks i asked my lfs about it and he said when they molt they do look like a whole crab the only way to tell is by opening the shell to see if it is hollow you might get a nice suprise one day
Hey, that 's great that your old friend came out of hiding:p
We cut ours in half to see if it was molt or dead crab.... dead crab
gonna have a funeral this weekend, but on the bright side, everyone else in there is happy !
24 gal Aquapod (wife's) reef, now cycled and currently emptying my wallet.
joeyfromlawrenceville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:19 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

is it bad if i have never seen my emeralds molt? ive had them for a few months now and have never seen a green shell or anything laying around as if they dont molt at all. my hermits however molt offen.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:16 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

no not really if your water is good and they feel happy it will happen, if youve got alot of hermits it could have molted already and they could have ate the shell, bristles would eat it too so dont worry they are quite hardy little things

Tags
alkalinity, control

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com