Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2004, 03:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to xxmoorishmanxx
QT and Breeding question

Can fish breed in a QT, i was wondering if the copper in the tank water causes the larval fish to die or, stress them out.

Old 10-21-2004, 08:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What kind of fish? I would think the fish fry would be very sensitive to copper.

46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 08:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

bangaii cardnels, gobies, or clowns
Old 10-22-2004, 12:12 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do you mean the tank was treated with copper and you are worried about it leaching back into the water? If you clean it well before you use it you should be fine. I have heard about the silicone being able to absorb copper and release it but I believe that is rare.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 01:05 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

no i have a tank i want to use as a quaranteen in the future, but would like to have fish in it when i am not quarantening, thought i could try to breed something inbetween getting new fish.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:32 PM   #6
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to Sam
a QT tank should be used for just that - QT. Heaven forbid you had a medical emergency and had to immediately treat with treatments that were not compatible with the QT tank inhabitants. That is why QT is recommended to be a basic 10-20G tank with no frills. I would suggest you use a separate breeding tank if that is what you want to do for that. I would definitely have the QT tank always available as a hospital tank. HTH

Me
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breed, breeding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com