QT and Breeding question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxmoorishmanxx

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can fish breed in a QT, i was wondering if the copper in the tank water causes the larval fish to die or, stress them out.

Do you mean the tank was treated with copper and you are worried about it leaching back into the water? If you clean it well before you use it you should be fine. I have heard about the silicone being able to absorb copper and release it but I believe that is rare.

no i have a tank i want to use as a quaranteen in the future, but would like to have fish in it when i am not quarantening, thought i could try to breed something inbetween getting new fish.

a QT tank should be used for just that - QT. Heaven forbid you had a medical emergency and had to immediately treat with treatments that were not compatible with the QT tank inhabitants. That is why QT is recommended to be a basic 10-20G tank with no frills. I would suggest you use a separate breeding tank if that is what you want to do for that. I would definitely have the QT tank always available as a hospital tank. HTH

Back
Top Bottom