Quarantine Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peterac

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello:

I have been reading many posts on QT. By QT I am referring to QT before adding species to the main (not a hospital tank).

The more I read the more I get confused because everyone uses so many different methods. However, the one method that stand out is hyposalinity. I know there are some huge advocates of this method on this forum.

This method seems perfect to me. One of the huge benfits I see is that the biological filtration can remain intact (much more convenient). and also this is less stressful than adding chemicals.

Can I feel as secure with using the hypo method as I can with other methods such as Copper? My main tank is huge so I must do everything in my power to not introduce a parasite (I will not be able to catch the sick fish nor can I treat the main with the LR).

As an added security blanket, if I use the Hypo method, would it be worth finishing the hypo method with a few days of copper.

Also, while on this topic: does anyone have any good or bad experiences with any particular refractometers.

Thanks,
Pete R.

peterac said:
As an added security blanket, if I use the Hypo method, would it be worth finishing the hypo method with a few days of copper.
If you decide to treat with hyposalinity prophylactically, leave the fish at normal salinity or slightly reduced for a 10-14 days first. This will help eliminate the possibility of a parasite that cannot be treated with hypo...which there are many. Any problem that will require the use of copper or aldehydes will rear it's ugly head rather quickly so you will be safe in treating with the hypo after a short observation period. The copper at the end would be uneccessarily stressful.

I would also suggest getting a few Polyfilter pads for the hypo treatment, they help exceedingly well at controlling/reducing nitrogens.

As far as refractometers, they are all pretty much the same. Just be sure it is a ATC model. Did you have a particular one in mind?

Cheers
Steve

As far as refractometers, they are all pretty much the same. Just be sure it is a ATC model. Did you have a particular one in mind?

Drs. Foster and Smith have one on sale for $28.00. It does not have a name - they just call it a portable refractometer with ATC. They have a Vital Sine for over $100 which makes me leary of the low price on the generic one.

steve-s said:
This will help eliminate the possibility of a parasite that cannot be treated with hypo...which there are many. Any problem that will require the use of copper or aldehydes will rear it's ugly head rather quickly so you will be safe in treating with the hypo after a short observation period. The copper at the end would be uneccessarily stressful.
What will Copper treat that Hypo will not?

Thanks,
Pete R.

Steve can correct me if I'm wrong, but Hypo will not cure any sort of fungus; there are also some diseases that can be caused by malnutrition that won't be affected by this treatement either. I have used Hypo successfully several times now for ich and I would not choose any other method.

I purchased the same refractometer from Foster and Smith as you mentioned. Price aside, it is *extremely* accurate. I would not hesitate to buy this. Compared to a swing arm hydrometer...well, I wont go there :D

Pghjeff71 said:
but Hypo will not cure any sort of fungus; there are also some diseases that can be caused by malnutrition that won't be affected by this treatement either.
True, it will also have little if any effect on internal parasites (Vibrio, Digenean trematodes and the like), bacterial, Brooklynella hostilis & Amyloodinium Ocellatum.

Each of these requires a different "directed" approach that targets a given malady. The more effective the treatment chosen, the more impact and less loss of life. This is why I say be absolutely sure you monitor the fish for a a short time prior to your prophylactic use of hypo. If the fish comes down with something else, you will not have enough time to properly raise the salinity and begin the right treatment. Lowing salinity can be done over a matter of two days, raising the salinity properly takes weeks (depending on the level at the time) although can be done in as little as seven days but I do not recommend it.

Cheers
Steve

peterac said:

Drs. Foster and Smith have one on sale for $28.00. It does not have a name - they just call it a portable refractometer with ATC. They have a Vital Sine for over $100 which makes me leary of the low price on the generic one.
Your basic difference here is quality of construction. There is little if any difference in accuracey. Just remember with the cheaper ones to very carefully clean and dry it after each use, as they will corrode.

For $28.00, there much more room for "human" error. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom