Quck Fix or New Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
My tank keeps on slowly building up salt residue on the bottom frame on one side. It builds up over the course of a few days then I wipe it off and it comes back again. Do you think I could put some type silicon or something on there to stop the slow leak? Or is it better that my upgrade to a bigger tank happen about a year before planned? Of couse I would rather just fix it for now. It has been this way for about 3-weeks. Please take a look at the pictures. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0056.jpg
    IMG_0056.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0058.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 104
Hmmm, I'd be interested in looking under the tank to see how much build up you have there. If it is a crack, they tend to spread (thing of a crack in your windshield). You might be able to get away with putting everything in totes (with a heater, ph and lighting if you have corals) and taking a look at the crack/leak. If it is a seal leak you can fix that, but a crack is totally different.

Are you sure it's just not water that runs down the side from maintenance or mucking around in the tank? I get something that looks like that too, but it's normally just from when I wipe off the glass but forget to wipe down along the frame. There's no leak in mine, just me being lazy.

The underside looks good, no salt build up at all. At first I thought it was maybe from me doing maintenance etc, but I know now that is definitely not the case. I don't think there is a crack in the glass anywhere, I think the seal is bad somehow. I guess thats what I get for buying a tank from PetCo. It is made buy AllGlass.

I see the same stuff its water that drips down from when i stick my hand in the tank then the water evaporates leaving the salt behind.

That seems like a very localized area. It looks like the salt creep is coming out from the bottom, not something that was splashed down, but I could be wrong.

I had the same fear at one point water catches really well on that bottom rim. My guess would be ryshark is right-handed since its on the right side of the tank. I could be wrong though

Yeah it is definitely not water caused by me, I have already exhausted that option. I wish it was though.

That is definately salt creep. Either you seal is gone or you have a crack in the tank some where. I would go with Roka's suggestion and get a tote and put everything into it and check the tank out. If it is a seal that can be fixed but it will take at least a day to cure good before you refill the tank.

Back
Top Bottom