Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-07-2007, 05:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Question about powerhead placement

Just recently got rid of a ongoing cyano problem that has been plaguing my tank for months. After several good cleanings, scrubbing rocks, and water changes, I think it is finally gone. In order to prevent cyano in the future, we have added a MaxiJet 1200 (295 gph) for more circulation and we have a question about placement.

Here is what we have: FOWLR 75 gal long tank w/ yellow tang, blue devil, 3-strip damsel, domino damsel, tomato clown, 6-line wrasse, a blenny (forget kind), about 80 various snails, & 15-20 hermit crabs. Fluval 405 canister filter.

In addition to the new MaxiJet 1200, we have 3 MaxiJet 600 (160 gph) on a wavemaker that cycle every couple of seconds. (We have the wavemaker because we were going to upgrade to a reef tank before the cyano problem. Would still like to do that, but want to get the tank as healthy as possible first.)

Our current placement is as follows:

Maxi 600 on left side in front, 2/3 way up aimed in front of rocks
Maxi 600 on right side in front 1/3 way up aimed at front of rocks
Maxi 600 on left side in back about 1/3 way up, aimed at back of rocks
Maxi 1200 on right side in back 2/3 way up, aimed along back wall of the tank

Water parameters are:
spg= 1.024
pH = 8.0
Nitrites= 0
Amon= 0
Nitrates= 30 (never been able to get them lower)

This was the placement recommended by a LFS , but wanted to get some other opinions. Thanks.

limemittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 05:25 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
hmmm, if it were me, I would think about getting one large internal pump and doing a spraybar..that would be alot easier than all those powerheads all over the place.

Hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:39 PM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Do you have a skimmer? This will help out with those nitrates. That is the source of you algea. If you could get them lower you could maybe knockout that problem. How often are you feeding? Need to feed every other day
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:47 AM   #4
I dont mean to hijack the thread, but I have a similar situation where it looks like I will need 4 powerheads. How would this pump/spraybar situation work. I couldn't find a pump that had one. Are there ones that are recommended and can it be explained how they connect? Thanks
player676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:25 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

How often are you doing water changes and how long is your lighting on. Also, how often and what are feeding. 'Dem high nitrates suggest to me that there could be excess nutrients in the water.

Check out the "articles" section above for an article on cyano.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:21 PM   #6
We usually do 10 gal water changes every two weeks but with the cyano we were doing them every 2-3 days to try to get the nitrates down and find a possible cause. The last water change we did on Saturday. Were going to try to watch everything and do another over the weekend.

We usually feed every other day and are using Nutrafin Max Marine Complete (slow sinking). We don't have a skimmer. Tried one about six months ago and could never get the thing to work properly. Lighting is on for about 6 hours each day 4-10pm (6-30W compact flourescents I believe) , then we have small blue LEDs that are on the rest of the time (simulate moonlight).

I hope that helps a bit for clarification on questions. As for the spray bar suggestion, I would be interested in some information about where to find them and how to set them up. I am not familiar with them.

limemittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:28 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I think you can see her Spray Bar in that pic. It runs across the top. I think I might do that for my 125.
Lisa, what kind of pump is that?
Do you find it works better than phs?

Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com