Question about t5's and SPS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GhostKnife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a light fixture that houses 4 54w 10,000 k daylight lights and 4 54w actinic blues...
Do I have enough light for SPS... reason I am asking is I like the looks of some of the toadstool leathers and acros. My LPS are doing great and thriving as are my Zoas minus one colony... That is yet to be determined. My nitrates are low as well as my phosphates. What do you guys think?

Toadstools are LPS and would just about certainly be fine in your setup as is. As far as SPS go, I'd start with the easy ones and go from there. (disclaimer- exactly what I'm doing so I'm biased ;)). Birdsnest, some montis, etc.

I'm kind of new to the T5 thing myself. However, I think you are on the fringe with that setup. Seems like good advice to start with the "easier" ones and see how it goes.

Okay well I think I got the wattage part down and accomplished with what I have or am I wrong. I had a feeling it would be borderline I was hoping for the opposite but I dont want to waste my time failing. I might try one of the easier ones as HN1 had mentioned. I dont know.

With T5`s it not really about wattage as much as it is about intensity. You`ll be OK for most SPS but starting with the easier ones was a good idea. May I suggest a pavona coral. It`s one of the easier SPS and grows well under my VHO lighting.

with that much light you should be able to keep almost anything at one of my lfs it has the same amount of light and it keep everything in there even clams you just have to make sure your water parameters are in check. plus his tank is deeper than yours.

okay well this is better news. I might just give the Pavona a shot some time in the near future. Ill have to see if my dealer has any.

So I found just online here a really cool Pavona its a Orange Pavona Maldivensis
(pavona sp.) and it looks freakin sweet. So this may be a future purchase. Nice work Mike. Thanks

It`s not the greatest pic but mine is the green coral all the way in the back.

100_1792.jpg

Awesome pics guys. Just noticing...Mike when did you decide go not scrape the algae of the sides of your tank?

A while back, there`s a wall on the other side of that glass so no ones going to see through anyway.

I might end up doing that with mine I am not sure yet. There is a wall close to the left side of my tank. I dunno.

Back
Top Bottom