question on in-line heaters and heating ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tony

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
There's a heater on the market called a ETH In-Line Heater it comes in a 200W 1/2" in/out;26-48GAL, 200W 5/8" in/out;26-48GAL and a 300W 5/8" in/out; 48-66GAL. The heater is to be installed in the return line of a canister filter or sump. Is this type of heater any good?
Now comes the question about heating, the guy at the LFS said that my light(36" 192W on a 46 GAL bow front) will give the tank a good temp during the day, so i probly wont need a heater during the daytime,can you put a heater on a timer so it turns on at night when the temp drops??
tony

You set the heater for the temp you want and leave it on. It's just like the heater in your house. It only comes on when the temp drops below the set level. Try to get a heater that actually has the temp number on a dial and not one of the cheap ones that you have to watch and adjust till you get it right.

Speaking of heating i have a question. I am keep mine between 80-83. Is that too much? I can get it lower then 80 cause of my lights. TIA

Tony,
that particular in-line heater, the Hydor line, are supposed to be very good. You still need an additional thermometer as I've been told they can be off by up to 2 degrees on their calibration..however they WILL hold that temp. steady.
I have one myself I'm installing this weekend on a freshwater planted tank.

Back
Top Bottom