Question on refugiums and plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jasno999

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Question on refugiums and plants?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a small 10 gallon tank setup in a NANO style. I have had isses with overgrowth of alge that I want to fight. I was thinking about maybe seting up a in-tank or hang on refugium to help.

What I was wondering was this: If I were to purchase the plant life that you normally put into a refugium and jsut place it in the main tank and not add a refugium what would happen? Would the plant life still fight against the bad alge and provide benifits or would it jsut die? I need some suggestionss and advice.

Well, I have my display planted with a variety of macro algae, and so far it seems to be living. Actually, it's not just living, it's thriving.. (guess the new lights were a good thing)
I don't see why it would make a difference being in the fuge or main.. probably usually in a fuge to keep it from spreading or fish eating it..aesthetics too?
Having the plants in your main also give your pods yet another place to hide n reproduce.

since we're on the topic of plants, any recommend a good suppliment for iron and trace elements?

well, so far it's working fine for me :)
My levels of nitrates are very low, and I don't have alot of algae growth (my snails take care of the normal glass goo)

The Macro algea will help get rid of the nitrates that are feeding your bad algea. You will probably have to trim the macro back every once in a while. I use Kents Iron suplement but thats for a refuge thats packed with macro. For just macro in a nano I would think no supplement is necessary unless you want to triple your pruning time. To me sup is not needed

Ahhh I was asking for my 90g tank about the suppliments... but you make a good point.. why feed the stuff more then necessary...
(I hate cutting the grass, can't see having my arm in the water for an hour plucking out algae would be much more fun..)

my bad, I got you and jasno mixed up. I thought you had the nano when he had it. Its been a bad day. Sorry

jasno999 said:
I have a small 10 gallon tank setup in a NANO style. I have had isses with overgrowth of alge that I want to fight. I was thinking about maybe seting up a in-tank or hang on refugium to help.

I wouldnt worry with an in-tank fuge for a 10g, i would do what others have suggested and just plant it or anchor some macro under a rock

So what type of Micro Alge do I get and where can I purchase it from? I have seen people sellign stuff on EBAY but I am not sure if that would be the right stuff to get.

Give me the correct names for the stuff that would be most benifical

Chaeto seems to be the defacto..
liveaquaria.com sells it.
That said, I have a variety of things (got a 6 pack from ebay, some from the lfs and some from liveaquaria).
The reason you have to be careful of what you put in is because some of these (like grape calurpa for instace - which seems to be the most abundant I can find locally) will spread fairly rapidly and even go 'sexual' - releasing spores into the water column that could potantially take over the tank (and kill stuff).
Proper care and pruning keeps this in check, but you have to spend 'alot' of time and effort obviously (I can't stay away from my tank, so it's no biggy for me) as well as prune properly so as to not damage and kill the plants, which release all the toxins they helped remove in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom