Question on Water Changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smitty

Aquarium Advice Addict
Howdy!

Time is quickly approaching when I will be able to set up my new tank. Hopefully in the next 4-5 weeks.

I have been thinking about the maintenance of the tank. It is a 90g with a 55g tank as a sump (so will not have a full 55g in it). At first it will be FOWLER but will become a reef tank very quickly.

So the questions have to do with water changes. I understand you should do 10-20% water changes. How to people go about doing this? First, is the sump water included in that calculation or is just the display? Also, I understand it isn't good to let corals get exposed to the air, but what if you have some toward the top of the tank? If you take out 15-20 gallons you could very well expose corals to the air.

Also, do you pull from the tank or the sump? If pulling from the sump it would be easier but I can't see getting a full 20% out of the sump because there wouldn't be enough in the sump even with the tank lowering as well to make up what was removed from the sump. Plus you wouldn't be vacuuming out any bad stuff from the tank.

Finally, where do people buy the large plastic containers for the pre-mix? I've been looking around for a 40-55g food safe container but haven't found anything locally. I can see wanting 2 of these as well (one a bit smaller) so you can have pre-mix ready and then having one for just the waist. Having a septic system I can't just pour the old water down the drain.

Sorry it is so long, thanks for your time!

heres what i do i brought a large garbage can from lowes filled it with ro/di water mixed in salt and added a water pump in to the can and a heater let it mix overnight i have one of those water change kits i hook it up to the sink and let it pump the water out of the aquarium then i put a vinyl tube onto the water pump in the garbage can and let it pump the water back into the aquarium

what i could have done was used that same pump and tube to pump the water out of the aquarium down the sink but i didnt think about that til after i had already ordered the water change kit lol

Thanks for your feedback. Do you take the water out of the DT only? How low do you let it get? I'm sure I will be able to find a way to remove the water without a problem even if I have to dump it in the back yard.

Check out any local feed stores,farm or horse supply places.They usually sell cheap 50 gallon barrels they receive feed in.they are stronger than garbage cans from Lowes or whatever.I run a half inch siphon hose from the top left corner of the display tank out the door to the yard,your grass will love the water.I have a pump running the water through half inch tubing from the barrel in the garage that the salt was mixed,tested and heated in.Run it into the sump,keep all your equipment running in the aquarium and sump.You will need the keep an eye on your level mark in the sump and kink the siphon hose as needed to slow water draining to maintain proper level in sump until your barrel is almost empty.
Now here is where opinions come in.I have a 75 gallon reef ready with 20 gallon sump.I have 165 lbs of live rock.I figure I have about 70 actual gallons of water between DT and sump.I do a 50% water change once a month and it has worked for me for 6 years now.I test and add supplements as needed.

So you are adding the new water at the same time as taking the old out? I would imagine that you take out some of the new at the same time but probably more of the old which is why I would guess you do 50% changes. Interesting idea.

Back
Top Bottom