Questions about Coralife Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cloudxsoldier

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just bought a bag on Coralife salt from one of my LFS and the salt was hard as a rock. When I picked the bag up it felt like a bag of solid cement.
He said if I just break it would be ok once it was smashed up again.
Is this the case?

Thankyou

It should be good but remember minerals can dissolve when moisture is present that's why the salts hard but when the moisture evaporates it will leave behind the minerals ...I would check the calcium levels and such after you mix it ....crush it up and mix a 5 gallon bucket up an test to make sure levels match up to what the bag states

This is a fellow reefer that sent that question to the makers of instant ocean salt

Here is my question and answer from the company that makes Instant Ocean and Reef Crystals.

Sent: Fri 7/30/2010 1:52 PM
To: US Aquatics Consumer Support
Subject: Instant Ocean Salt

Hi,

My bag of reef crystals has gotten a little clumpy, and there are crystals suspended in the water. Is it still good? Should I wait for the crystals to settle to the bottom before adding the saltwater mix to my tank?

ANSWER:

Hello,

If the salt mix has become clumpy from moisture, it will not dissolve properly. Be sure to test the water to make sure that all levels are still within the proper range. As long as everything test ok it would be fine to use. The suspended particles should not hurt anything, but I would try to avoid getting them in the tank as they probably will not dissolve there either.

Sincerely,

UPG Aquatics

What Reefpete posted is correct. What happened is when the moisture got into the salt, there was so little water compared to the amount of calcium chloride and sodium carbonate that it caused the salt to precipitate into calcium carbonate. The calcium carbonate now in the salt mix will not dissolve. When you crush up the salt and mix it with water, check your alkalinity. More than likely it will be lower than it should be. You can bump it back up by adding baking soda to the saltwater mix. Coralife salt is very high in calcium to begin with so your calcium level should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom