R/O Waste water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karlseith

Aquarium Advice Activist
I use a 3 stage Kent Marine HI-S R/O unit and as you know these systems produce a boat load of waste water. When I have the time I collect it and use it for African Cichlids, however I was wondering if their is a more practical way to utilize or perhaps recirculate the waste water. I just don't feel right sending all that water down the drain. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Karl

Maybe to wash the car or water the plants with, but I wouldn't use any of it for my system.

I watered a cactus with my waste water once, and it didn't die so i guess thats a plus

edit: I need to learn to spell or at least use spell check

So what is so bad about waste water anyways?? I've never really understood the reason behind dumping it, I've just always been told to do so. It's been through the micron and carbon filter just not the R/O membrane right? So shouldn't it be ok for FO? I just really dislike throwing away so much water.

The waste water has a slightly higher level of DOC's than the tapwater going into the system. Recirculaing the waste water back into the filter will only speed up the aging proccess of the filter membranes.

I use the waste water for laundry.

fishfreek how did ya do that with out doing laundry for weeks ?? do ya just wait for an hour for it to fill the washer or do ya still wash by hand heheh j/k also what about the rinse cycle ?? im curious due to our water here is so bad it has alot of iron in it and will stain cloths from time to time i was gonna hook the waste line to the washers hose hook up but takes so long to fill was my prob !?!?

I make water weekly. It takes me about an hour to fill the washer with waste water. Then i add deturgent and let it run. I stop the rinse cycle when the washer starts putting water into the tub and once again put the wastewater line into the machine to fill.

If you dont mind washing with cold water then this works great. Sure it makes laundry day a full day affair but its saving me a few $ on the water bill.

I have two ro units, one fills the washer and the other fills the a 30 gallon rubbermaid container for dog water outside.....

You could also save the waste water in trash cans, When its time to laundry just pump waste water to washer. This way it only takes minutes, which is about the same time it takes washer to fill up anyways

so i take it that most of you turn off the feed to your ro units when ya not making water??? other wise the can would fill up fast !!

ya you could use extra trashcans to store the water but i dont have the room for an extra couple of trashcans.

I guess the good thing about living on the great lakes is if you rent an apartment in Chicago you don't pay for water...

But it's still not good to waste it, can you make some homemade beer with the waste water...?

Back
Top Bottom