Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-19-2004, 04:43 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
Rainsoft Water treatment

We just had a Rainsoft system installed. Does anyone have one. I have one? I have not seen any postive or adverse effects on my tank. However I know it is better than the well water I used before. Any pros and cons?

Old 03-20-2004, 11:02 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

What forms of filtration does it use? If it has a deionization and or RO unit after the softener...it should be fine, but I have read about issues with tanks that used softened water.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 11:55 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

It uses potassium (sp?) and carbon to filter the water. No salt , then it goes through a ro filter. however it cannot produce water as quick as mine evaportates (five gallon a day.) So I go straight from the tap. All corals and fish are doing fine except LPS, my plate died, hammer, torch and bubble are not doing well either. After some die off, the torch and bubble seem to be stabilizing.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:10 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
however it cannot produce water as quick as mine evaportates (five gallon a day.)
Not sure what system you have, a friend of mine just got a rainsoft system and it does her whole house, showers and all. I keep forgetting to take my TDS meter over to her house to see what her output water uses.

The only filter I know of that uses potassium permangenate is an iron filter, I have one, as our well water has alot of iron in it, if the p. permangenate is not removed from the water completely I can see it causeing serious issues, as itis a powerful oxidizer, however, I would think the carbon filter would remove it. What kind of system did you buy that will only produce 5g per day??

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 03:14 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

The rainsoft system treats the entire house. The RO filter just treats the drinking water and has a two gallon resovoir.

Tags
eat, treatment

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com