red algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

panza

Aquarium Advice Freak
there is this red algae that is like under my sand but its on the glass just where the sand is. is there anything that will eat it or any tips to get rid of it? thanks

Red Algae

Does it look like raspberry jam? I had some on a side of my 35 gal hex where it was more or less a "dead zone" and uneaten nutrients gathered there. I siphoned as much as I could without disturbing the DSB and put a Maxijet aimed about 4 inches above the "zone" and it has quit growing.

Curly

Keep in mind that the flow may help reduce it but the source of the problem is more then likely excess nutrients in the water. Cyano bacteria grows as a result of this. Doing frequent PWCs and reduced feedings will help solve the issue.

Test your water and post your parameters.

ok heres the parameters..... the nitrate liik like 10 about the nitrite are 0 the ph looked 7.5 or so the alk is like 120 is that good?

Your PH is low, it should be 8-8.4.

The thing is if you are having issues with algae then there is something going on in your water. Either you have higher numbers then you are seeing on your tests or you are overfeeding, or you have too large a bio load for your tank.

My suggestion is to do PWCs weekly, especially since you have a small tank. Make sure that if you have filter floss or sponges in your filtration that you clean them out weekly as well.

i think i know what the problome was...... so a week ago we putt all the water i have in my quarentine tank and me and my parents have a deal thatll they will take me once a week to get more wate (which normally works) but for a week we couldnt add water to my tank because i had know so the water flow was bad and the algae started to grow but now its back to normal and hopefully everything will clear up soon

ok thanks now that the water flow is back to normal its already starting to vanish, oh yeah by the way i think i want to start stocking my tank with more coral any opinions on how many coarl i should buy at once???

Back
Top Bottom