red slime alge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

austinph

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
so i have red slime alge in my tank it's undercontrol most of it is from an outbreak i had awhile back is there anything the eats it or that will kill it with out killing everything else?:bat:that was just a cool smilie

The best thing is more flow to the area that has it and to cut down on feeding and lights until you get it under control.

i am bad about the feeding i like fat fish. i will have no problem increasing the flow to the area thats a good idea. i was also told that sifter sand fish would help to keep it off the sand is that true?

It's a bacteria, so as long as the conditions are prime you will not get rid of it. A sand sifting goby will help a little as would more flow.

i have used "chemiclean" red slime remover with success. if you've been doing repeated water changes and can't get rid of it, this product should work for you.
just follow the directions and you won't have any adverse reactions.
btw, this is "chemiclean", made by boyd enterprises, not to be confused with "red slime remover" which is an antibiotic called erythromycin.

ultimately, it will come back if you keep a high nutrient tank. you have to take out what you put in or you are going to end up with more trouble than cyano.

well i will try "chemiclean" if i can't get rid of it, but i have been keeping up on my water changes it doesn't spread very much it's only on two rocks and so far confined there and as sujested i have started feeding them less and also added mroe flow the the problem area.

Also take a toothbrush and siphon tube to the rock and manually remove as much cyano as you can each day. It will most likely come back, but if you keep manually removing it, it seems to knock the wind out of it for a while and put the odds in your favor with increased flow, less nutrients, etc.

the siphon tube is the genuis part of it i didnt think of that i will have to do that next tank change.

Back
Top Bottom