Reef School

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dustyeisner

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anyone recommend some beautiful schooling fish that are completely reef safe and peaceful yet beautiful with interesting behaviors? And by school I mean a fish that would tolerate being in a group of at least ten.

Some things I've read suggest that a benggai cardinal (sp?) might be good for this but it seems that there may be a question about how many individuals may be used. Some say three others say six and still others say that one is best.

Thanks

Dusty

well I dont know how large of an aquarium you have, but Chromis are often the best choice for schooling fish with limited space (when I mean limited space I mean about 70 gallons +) bangaii will school if you have a very large aquarium and have about 15 of them with some sea urchins etc.

Thanks for the reply.

I am actually in the process of planning a tank/ system of tanks. But I want the school for a 100 - 165 gallon tank. I don't want to go with the chromis just because I see then everywhere. I'm looking for something that is a bit more out of the ordinary.

So you do think the cardinals would work for a tank this size?

it could work, if you bought and added them all at once.
Another option, that I diddnt think of before are Anthias, though they are delicate, and quite pricey. They are very beautiful and will school. I have only personaly seen cardinals "schooling" once, and so I would hate to tell you yes, then have them not school for you :-?

Cool much appreciated. At the end of the day if they all coexist in the tank without killing eachother or bothering eachother I'll call it a day and a school.

I'm going to research that other option as well. Thanks again. If you think of anything let me know.

Dusty

In a tank that large you could easily have a nice school of Anthias. There are several different kinds and I'm sure that you could find an unusual group that would work for you. The one thing to keep in mind when having a school of Anthias is they are as said a delicate fish. You really need a good established system before adding them. Also they like to eat a lot! Personally even though they are seen a lot I love my chromis. They are fun to watch and will actually eat right out of my hand.

Thanks Ziggy

I was planning on letting the system mature for a bit before adding any fish so that everything can settle and all of the critters can really establish themselves without any predators.

Also if any undesirables appear from the live rock I will have plenty of time to find and get rid of them.

Would the Chromis be compatable with the anthias? I think it would be interesting to have two schools if so.

yes, both are non aggressive. The chromis is very social and the anthias are kind of shy, but to answer your question, yes they will definitely get along. Also, make sure you only get one male Anthias if you do, as two will compete for "alpha"

I have both Chromis and anthias. Check my chromis out in the middle of my tank. They are good schoolers.

100_0304.jpg

As was stated chromis and anthias will get along just fine. That is a very good point you want one male and several females.

That`s from a few yrs ago but you see what I`m talking about as far as the chromis

If you are able to go with a larger tank (160-180) then I would look at the schooling bannerfish (Heniochus sp.) as an option. While a group of 10 may be a bit unrealistic, three or four may be an option depending on what else you want. Keep in mind these fish are not considered reef-safe so if you want corals down the road they may not be a good option.

Back
Top Bottom