reef wrasse suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I understand the flasher and fairy wrasses are reef-safe. Any particular wrasses you would recommend? Looking for a peaceful beauty.

Scott's Velvet?
Read Head Solon Fairy?
Peacock?
Velvet Multicolor?

Others?

I have never seen a fairy wrasse or a flasher wrasse that was aggressive to another fish. One thing to consider about fairy wrasses, is the colorful ones will be super males, fairy wrasses are harem fish, and if not surrounded by females the males will change sex to female and may be drab looking.

That said, I am partial to the Hawaiian flame wrasse, the Scotts fairy wrasse and the mystery wrasse. If I were you, I would pick the one I liked the best. Make sure to quarantine the wrasse as they are very skittish and should become acclimated to captivity by themselves, when picked on by tank mates, they will be very susceptible to parasites and disease.

My personal favorite is the Leopard Wrasse. But, it is mandatory to have a DSB to keep one. They burrow at night in the sand bed. Beautiful fish. Can't imagine my tank without one.

reefer_wannabe said:
My personal favorite is the Leopard Wrasse. But, it is mandatory to have a DSB to keep one. They burrow at night in the sand bed.
My coris wrasse would debate that part. It seems quite happy with 1-1½" of sand :wink:

Cheers
Steve

There all great looking fish. Which ever one you decide on remember they like to jump. My Scotts Fairy Wrasse went carpet surfing when my wife fed the tank.
I now have a top on my tank.

I think we forgot one thing, if 105 has a small tank, he might want to consider a simple Six-Line. They are small, colorful, and reef safe.Just my two-cents worth. Cya 0X

I love my six line, but he hides a lot. I think he is a little adventurous, he likes to go swimming in my overflow box.

if 105 has a small tank, he might want to consider a simple Six-Line.

If I remember correctly, 105man has a 56g tank. The sixline is a good suggestion whatever size tank though ;) If it weren't for it's affinity for eating xenia polyps, I would still have mine :lol:

Back
Top Bottom