Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-12-2003, 10:21 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Salt
The HOB refugium do they come with a light or does it rely on the light provided by the tank?

No, however CPR sells a light that works very well for them.
It's part of the "JBJ Lighting" line.

There are two different ones they suggestion.
One is a "clamp on" which allows you to raise the light above the top of the regugium, the other sort of just sits on it. I prefer (and use) the Clamp-On. A few online companies have it, we've got it over @AA, here. I like this once, also, because I keep mangroves in my refugium, and the adjustment bars on this unit allow me to move it away enough to not burn my little mangroves

Old 02-13-2003, 12:18 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've been reading about the mangroves, will have to read more about them thanks for the link and suggestions!

Old 02-13-2003, 07:01 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Salt
I've been reading about the mangroves, will have to read more about them thanks for the link and suggestions!

Yeah, I love my little mangroves

Almost as much fun (long term) as any soft-coral development
Old 02-14-2003, 05:52 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi Logan,

Which make/model refugium do you have for your 10gal? I'm curious what the overflow box looks like & if it's only on certain make/model HOB refugiums. The one my wife mentions does look like it has a overflow box.

The one we are getting is the CPR Aquatic Aquafuge External Hang-On Refugium.

Thanks Logan

John
Salt4Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 10:11 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Curious, I'm getting a refugium it's a CPR hang on back wondering how much sand should I put in it?? It's going to be 12" x 4" x 12" thought I was going to get it for $39.00 thought it was too good to be true, turned out to be the inside one and that one he wanted over a 100 bucks for it, told him we could get it online cheaper, he matched the price of 89.95, not bad, didn't have to pay shipping. Now we are getting new powerheads and going to set them up right, I just want to set up the refuguim right too. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 02-14-2003, 11:25 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Well, I built mine. I kinda looks like the CPR I guess except that it uses an internal overflow and a U tube with the PH inside the fuge returning water to the tank. I have about 3" of fine sand in mine. It is full of pods and I'm starting to see worms in the substrate. It originally housed the heater and skimmer as well as having a fuge compartment...kinda an all-in-one deal. I think there are pics of it in the DIY forum.
Logan J
Old 02-14-2003, 11:30 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

I really liked what you built, but we went with the hang on back, doesn't have enough room for the skimmer unfortunately or heater for that matter, can we use or should we use sand from our existing tank or go out and buy more, I plan on doing macro algae later on, but am more concerned on getting the pods going again so that the blennies will have some, if I add sand from the exisiting tank will the pods re-emerge or should I buy another bag of live sand and use that, we will be putting some small pieces of live rock that was in the tank too. Look forward to your reply thanks!
Old 02-14-2003, 11:52 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I just added some sugar size sand from the LFS (dry in the bag) and I have a swarm of pods in there after a couple of months. The LR should have some on it also...anytime I pull a piece out of my tank, I'll always see a few squirming around on it. You might use some dry sand in there and just add a little from your tank so you don't disturb the sand bed too much. Like everything else, it'll take some time. Once they get started though, they'll grow like crazy with nothing eating them.
Logan J
Old 02-14-2003, 11:56 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks Logan, you've been a huge help for us, that's what we will do then, we'll get some dry sand tomorrow, setting up our new ph's tonight and got a wave timer so hopefully we'll be in business! Thanks!
Old 02-25-2003, 03:49 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok, I'm going to look stupid here an post this, had the HOB CPR fuge running for close to a week now, and I can see a lot of little critters in there which I'm really excited about, we don't have any macroalgae in there yet, still waiting for the light to come, but did get a beautiful piece of maiden's hair that is in our main tank, that's besides the point, my question, do they just make their way out of the fuge and in to our tank? I know it's obvious but I thought I'd ask. Thanks!

Tags
refugium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com