REFUGIUM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dtprkr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon tank without much room underneath of it. I would really like to add a refugium but I'm limited on the space in my cabinet. Has anyone used this particular sump/fuge? If not, do you think this one will do sufficiant job. I do plan to remove the bio balls if I decided to purchase it. Here is the link;

http://www.petsolutions.com/Medium+Pro+Clear+Mud+Sump-I-85076025-I-C-26-C-.aspx

thanks for your feedback!
dtprkr

You could make your own out of a 15-20gal high tank and a few baffles for much less. You could buy everything including the overflow and return pump for about the same amount. If your handy and don't mind DIY projects build your own and save the $$. I'm in the process of adding a sump to my 55gal-I know what a pain having a tank only 12"wide is :roll: -here is my sump plan if your interested and a good reference DIY site www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

Attachments

• sump_w_under_return_311.gif
    sump_w_under_return_311.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 350
How many baffles do you plan on using? Also, what return pump do you plan to use? I was under the impression that a 20 gallon tank was too wide to fit (cabinet is right at 12 inches).

Worst choice in my aquarium setup: accepting a free 55g and not buying a 90g.

12" = worst possible size

Check out the web site petpromonade.com . They have a Pro Proclear sump/skimmer combo that is only 9'' wide and thus far works great. I've checked and this is the lowest price around. This is what I'm using on my 55g.

Hey fishdoc, which model Proclear do you have? Did you remove the bio balls? Also, how well does the venturi skimmer that is provided work? Sorry bout all the questions!

thanks,
dtprkr

I have the Pro 75. I am a newbie to saltwater and the tank has been up and running for about 1 week. As of now I still have the bioballs, I plan on removing them after ~6months. As far as the skimmer is concerned it produces lots of bubbles but not much GUNK. I am told that skimmers need to be "broken in" I will give it some time before I complain. Overall it looks like a good system and for the price it can't be beat.

dtprkr said:
How many baffles do you plan on using?
Over-under-over-Refugium- and then a final over-under. The last under is to prevent water from splashing directly above the return pump as water evaporates(all water evap. is lost from/evident in just the return chamber, not the whole sump). That would cause micro-bubbles to be returned to the main. So 5 baffles total.
Also, what return pump do you plan to use?
A Mag 9.5 w/ a SCWD.
I was under the impression that a 20 gallon tank was too wide to fit (cabinet is right at 12 inches).
The way my stand is built I have 12.75 in. of clearance under the tank. A 20 will not work w/ 12" but a 15 gal might if you still want to DIY. This is quite a project huh! I think my head is going to explode before I get to build mine lol- best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom