refugium newbie question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsBeanCtr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I currently am using a 20 gallon tank as a sump for my 72 gallon bowfront. I have everything stuffed into it (heater, phosphate reactor, protein skimmer etc). Someone (Fijiwigi) was kind enough to ship an acrylic sump over to me. I have everything ready to go but I have some questions about the refugium portion of the sump.

Do I simply add live rock rubble to it and a handfull of chaeto and let it go? Should I do the refugium mud thing? Am I supposed to add snails to it? How long should I set the timer for the lights in the sump? Do you have anything inbetween the sections of the sump (between the baffles) such as a foam insert?

Told ya....Refugium newbie here :n00b:

I have sand, LR LR rubble and tons of macro in my fuge. I keep the light on 24/7. Depending on how your sump is set up you may need something to keep things in their place, I don't suggest using sponges unless you are going to clean them out weekly. Sponges will kind of defeat the purpose of the fuge.

I don't care for the miracle mud I think it is a lot of money for something that isn't proven to make that much difference. I just put 4 - 5" of sand on the bottom put in some LR and rubble and tossed in the macro.

Here is what my fuge looked like in Feb.
fuge22207smallee6.jpg

This is what it looks like now.
1010589smallxg1.jpg

If you are using calerpa then you`ll need to keep the lights on 24/7. I did the miracle mud thing covered by sand but if given another chance I probably would have not used it. Just never saw any advantage.

Thank you much for the pictures! I'm a visual person when it comes to setup etc.

Should I use calerpa or chaeto or something else? a combo??

Chaeto is safer. If you do use caulerpa algae then you should light it 24/7 to keep it from going sexual

Chaeto is safer. If you do use caulerpa algae then you should light it 24/7 to keep it from going sexual

And if I could add one thing You need to keep it pruned back also. It`s OK to have a tank full but if it gets really thick it will go sexual also.

Hey ms Bean Ctr I have a huge Pile of Chaeto I could send you for free. Just PM me with your address again and Ill ship it out.

I use a combination of Cheato and Caulerpa. The Caulerpa grows very very fast and helps reduce nutrients more quickly. Once a month I remove a large portion of it and let it start growing again.

A lot of people are not comfortable with caulerpa in their systems. I have had success with it.

Emerald crabs will tear through some caulerpa too. I had some I was just letting grow in my display area. They hit it like a pack of lawn mowers.

Critters eating the caulerpa before it catches hold in the main tank may be why some people have no problems with it.

I agree as I take a ball of it out and put it in the main for my tangs. It will last in there about 2 days

I didn't even think of that....I have 2 pigs....Oh! I mean tangs that would love the stuff. Great!! Thanks very much for the info

Back
Top Bottom