removing bio balls for live rock rubble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermarvin76

Aquarium Advice Freak
How should I go about removing my bio balls? I should replace them with live rock rubble correct? Also,what exactly is live rock rubble? Can I buy it from LFS? Or, do I just buy live rock, and crush it up myself? I would like to use the same sump that I am using right now. It is a commercial sump designed for my wet /dry. How can I make it so that the rubble is completly submerged? Any links would be helpful too!!

LR rubble is just small pieces of lr. Your lfs should have some. It's what's left over at the bottom of the bins. As for replacing your bioballs, I believe the standard practice is to do it slowly over a period of time. Maybe remove it by thirds. Although, hopefully someone who has done this will jump in and give you their experience with it.

is this an existing tank or are you just setting it up? LR rubble can be bought online as well. depending on your local fishstore, it may be alot cheaper to get it online. www.liverocks.com is a great resource. Call or email them if you'd like and tell them you'd like the rubble, as it will likely be cheaper (i believe) than the regular rock.

In my wet dry, you can just remove the eggcrate that the bioballs sit on and fill the sump with more water to increase the level and put the lr in there.

Jim

forgot to mention, find a post by Lando and check his gallery, he has pics of his setup w/the rubble.

Jim

You can find LR rubble at most LFS. Some sell it and some just give it away. Just make sure it is cured before you add it to your sump. Remove a little of the bioballs at a time over a months time or more.

Back
Top Bottom