RO/DI Unit question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
is it better to buy a reverse osmosis system with DI?

IMO, your better off with a DI for your fish tank and regular RO to drink.

thats the one i wanna get.. piece of crap? or good?

I imagine it's fairly good, the tank is a resevoir for drinking water.

IMO, I would look at the RO/DI units from filterdirect or AquaSafeCananda on ebay. According to Aquasafe, the RO membrane alone will remove most bacteria and viruses, I have no idea how true that is, but seems fairly reasonable.

The UV is useless IMO. The tank is simply a small storage tank that can be used on the system. Its used most often if the RO unit is placed in a kitchen. The water is stored in the tank and is used as a drinking water source.

I see the unit on ebay is rated at
High rejection TFC membrane 50 gpd
. This might be something to pay attention to depending on the size of tank(s) you will be using and how long you want it to take to make water.

For the same money you can probably find a 4 stage unit with a higher GPH rating.

You also might want to check out the KoldSteril units. They are manufactured by poly-bio Marine the same company that makes the now famous poly-pads

http://www.marinedepot.com/a_ro_pb.asp

http://www.poly-bio-marine.com/products.htm

I've done some research on these - they have no waste water and by many standards provide better quality water then RO's. If I recall correctly replacement cartridges are much cheaper as well (so while the inital cost may be higher - long term is lower).

I agree that DI is the way to go. If you want to use it for aquarium use only, you don't need the small pressure tank. If you want to use it for aquarium and drinking water, you'll need the pressure tank and a larger storage container with a float valve...if you want it to be convenient. You can run the RO to the drinking water tank and the DI to the aquarium storage container. I would look at the Aqua FX Barracuda for several reasons. Yes, it is more expensive, but not that much. You'll get an aluminum filter bracket...most everyone else uses steel. Aluminum will hold up to corrosion much better. You get a built in pressure gauge...this tells you when the prefilters are clogging up and what your home water pressure is. You get all clear filter housings so you can see all the filters and judge their condition. You get a color changing DI cartridge in a clear housing...it changes color as it is used up. You get an inline TDS meter so you can, at a glance, monitor your units performance. You can add the drinking water kit and/or a food grade storage container with a float valve preinstalled. Although it does come in a 50gpd rating, for about $20 more, you can get it in a 100gpd rating. Anyway, although it is a more expensive unit, I think it's well worth it. The most important thing you get with one of these units is customer support from people who know what they're talking about and are willing to do whatever it takes to help you. I've never called them and not gotten an answer. I've never asked a question of them and not had it answered...that's worth a good bit to me. JMHO.

Back
Top Bottom