New to Me RO/DI missing a few parts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulydaturk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I've acquired this Bulk Reef Supply 5 stage RO/DI unit. It's missing the 5th stage canister completely as well as the one for the sediment filter. I've already figured out that to get it running I'm looking at $150 for new filter media and missing parts.

My question is... how in the world do I plumb this thing? I can't tell if someone already converted it to 4 stage from the original 5 or where I need to connect the 5th canister when I receive it.

If it's already set up for 4 stage, I'll save a ton of money because I'll leave it as is and just buy the one missing can and filter media/resin and be done. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance everyone. I'm off to build my DIY ATO and Fuge. :)

Attachments

• RODI.jpg
    RODI.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0201.jpg
    IMG_0201.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0202.jpg
    IMG_0202.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0204.jpg
    IMG_0204.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 29
The fifth stage would be DI and require another canister be installed after the TFC.
If you just replace the first canister you will have a 4 stage RO unit without DI .
Nothing wrong with that IMO if you are using for freshwater .
If the unit is for marine then just get the DI canister and resins.They are the most expensive and quickest exhausted resin/cartridge in most peoples set up depending on your water ..

Thanks for the response! I have no problem buying the extra canister and getting it set up as a 5 stage, I just can't for the life of me figure out how they'll attach and need to be plumbed in.

I know the black water line is likely for waste water but it appears the third canister is routed into the RO membrane... does the RO then go into the DI canister? or should it hit the DI canister first then go to the RO membrane?

Thanks

DI is last . Water in to first canister and waste comes from the TFC[ RO filter on top ] and the good water also comes from the TFC .There should be two lines coming from the top filter ..The black is waste the blue is good [I think ]..
I have the BRS 5 stage chloramine deluxe with an extra canister on front and dual DI.
I don't use DI now as most of the water goes for fresh water use not my marine tank .

OK, looking closer at the DI canister it appears there's a fitting that will allow me to connect the output of the blue line on the RO to the input on the 5th canister. I think I'm ready to go once it's mounted and everything arrives. All I need to figure out now is how to get it to stop producing when my reservoir is full.

Will a basic float valve do the job?

Yea I got my float valves from BRS and maybe a another place .
My RO fills multiple Brute containers ..
Next you will need to see what the pressure is .
I have the pump and converted my 5 stage 75GPD to a 150 by adding a second TFC .
BRS has a kit for that .You definitely need pump if you go up to 150GPD

I've seen a lot of different cut-offs such as solenoids and float valves. Does the water completely stop running through the filter when the float valve kicks off or will I need to go and turn of the spigot as well once I see it's not filling my RO? I'm currently doing one Brute container, but have thought about plumbing two together and putting an external pump on them so I can circulate both of them at the same time. If I do, I'd have cutoffs so I can keep one fresh and use the other for mixing salt, since I have both types of tanks.

Actually one more question... when just sitting in the holding container, does the RO/DI water actually need to be circulated?

I am not sure if it needs to be circulated but I use an airstone or powerhead and heater in my barrels . I placed a T in my line so I run 2 barrels on their own float switch .

I may go the powerhead and airstone route... I have a submersible pump I use to get the mixed salt water to the tank, but it would definitely be less of a cost to throw an airpump out there and a couple powerheads than to plumb everything.

I'm doing a tube divider to split the RO off to the two containers and am ordering float switches and the remainder of what I need now. Might throw the pump into the freshwater one to rinse my car when I wash it too just so there are no spots :lol:

Thanks for all the info.

Back
Top Bottom