Rocks on the glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fireworks

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am hopefully setting up my new 72" 125gal this weekend and want to know if everybody leans their rockwork against the back glass or keep it away. If it is on the glass, is water circulation around the back a concern?

I have leant some of the rocks in my display on the glass but the curvature of the rocks allows flow around the back of them. :) I think you just need to pick the right rocks to lean on the glass. You might not lean anything either. It just depends on how you set-up your tank.

I would keep it away and give the fish a place to go, maintain proper circulation, and avoide scratching the glass.

My rock is piled up against the back glass. Been doing it like that for 20 yrs without any issues.

Mine is on the back glass also. Forces the fish to swim out front where you can see them. Been like that for 11+ yrs with no problem.

Back glass is good. The fish will still have nautural nooks, hiding places, and swimming room back there if you do it right. Of course there'll be less circulation back there, but that's one of the reasons they sleep back there too. Just keep the rock off the side glass too enuf to get a magnet, scraper or other cleaner of your choice down there. I prefer my sides accessible and clean.

Thanks everyone, it makes sense that the fish will spend more time out front, I never thought about it that way. I'll post a picture once it is all together.

Back
Top Bottom