Running 2 sumps, OK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Branew

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have a 55 gallon setup and I bought a used 90 Gallon from someone that included a sump and a Magnum 350. So now I have 2 sumps and was wonder if it is possible to run 2 sumps/2 Overflows simultaneously. My guess is that the overflows would have to be almost exactly even or else one sump would get all the overflow.

I guess I am planning on using the 2 sumps and the Magnum 350 together.

Initially my plans are to run FOWLR but starting a reef is very interesting to me so I may get rid of my Trigger and Puffer. I love the Green Mandarins and may consider starting a refugium. Maybe I could turn one of the sumps into a refugium?

Anyone have any comments/ideas/suggestions?

Any help or advice is appreciated!

You could plumb the sumps together.. it might be a pain though.. adjusting it will be a pain.. Another issue: the smallest hang on overflows Ive seen are rated for 300gph, you might have problems keeping them both primed with only 350 gph from the magnium.. HTH

You'd be better off, unless you have one already, to use the smaller one for a QT tank. A fuge is always a great idea. Maybe even a pod farm since you're considering a mandarin which needs lots of LR and plenty of copepods. Good luck!

KG

Thanks guys....

I was somewhat more concerned about running the 2 overflows simultaneously. I guess I am worried one will get all the flow unless they were exactly the same level. I have 2 pumps also, 1 for each sump.

Does anyone else run 2 overflows? If so is it no big deal and they both get enough flow even if they aren't exactly at the same level?

Back
Top Bottom