sacrophyton

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pounder

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Leather coral has been in tank for 4 days. Initially opened but is now completely closed. All water parameters are normal. Is this normal. I have had green starr polyp stay closed for a week as well.
nitrate o
temp 78
Ca 400
Alk 3.45
pH 8.0

Hmmm, are the star polyps open now? Were they a new addition, or did they just close up one day? It is pretty common for GSP to take a sabbatical from being open from time to time.

The toadstool, is probably acclimating to new conditions. Do not be surprised if it sheds, it is pretty common for this to happen when placed in new surroundings. When it sheds, it will close up completely for a couple of days (usually the toadstool will get very shiney). Then it will begin to open and you will see a waxy film stringing from the coral. Directing a powerhead at the coral will accerate the process.

My Toadstool opened at first and then closed for about a week and a half.
Now it is staying opened and growing. I have found this leather is very sensitive to touch and vibration, When I clean my glass with a magnet and get to close it withdraws and reopens later when I am done.
Make sure it is not being stung by another coral or bothered by fish or Inverts.

Back
Top Bottom