Salinity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Readingexcalibur

Aquarium Advice Addict
First time mixing my own water. If the tank salinity is at 1.025 and my mix is at 1.022. Will this shock the fish or can I do my water change with this.

Your salinity will drop, but how much it drops depends on the volume of your tank and the amount of water you are changing. Why are you mixing the new water at a lower salinity? Just add morre salt to the new water and raise the salinity. Natural seawater around most reefs is 1.026.

Thats y I was asking the size. But he def answered the question completly. does that makes sense?

No problem. You said this was your first time mixing your own water. Were you buying buying it pre-mixed?

I was buying ocean water. I guess they take it directly from the ocean. Recently I was reading it is not good because it could contain contaminates.

That is true. But I would also worry about hitch hikers in the ocean water. . . .

Hmmm good point! Well now I am buying reef crystals, I got it to 1.025 to match my tank. 10g has been aerating for the last 72 hours. I did use declorinated tap, new batch will be RO. Had to save for my unit, almost there! :)

Did you have a bad experience? I was thinking that if my RO unit isn't here next week I would go fill two 5g jugs down at the grocery store RO machine. It's only $1.25 for 5 gallons.

I've been using that water for a long time with no obvious ill effects, 7+ years. As long as you test it before use. I would rather make my own, but getting into this hobby on a budget, there is always something else that needs more attention.

Yes. . . . I was monitoring my ro system pretty close but not close enough I guess. . . . My DI was bad and I was adding it too my tanks. . . Had an extreme outbreak of algae, cyno and diatoms. It was like adding tap water.

Back
Top Bottom