Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ingy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Lately I've been using IO Reef Crystals, but locally they're too expensive. Nearby they only carry Oceanic Pro and Fluval Sea. I did use Fluval Sea for 1 bucket, but that was it (so I didn't have time to notice anything). I am not overly impressed with IO-RC as I have to dose both Calc and Alk. Polyp extension is not impressive either, so I figue, why not change sumptin' up. Anybody using Oceanic? Anybody seen any changes when switching?

I use the reef crystal mix and have to supplement; kH ,pH and Ca. weekly.
I'm pretty used to it.
I would not worry about changing to another brand IMO.
Test it when you mix(may be mix for 24 hrs.) and see where levels are at for new baseline and go from there weekly.
Hope this helps?

If you have the option on the Red Sea coral pro, give that a go. I really like it

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Once you get a tank up and running, with enough hard corals to start using up elements, it doesn't matter which salt you use, your going to have to dose the tank to get those elements up. Its cheaper inthe long run to use Instant Ocean and dose what you need to the tank. I've never heard of anyone needing to initially dose anything that were using Reef Crystals though, that salt mixes out high on everything, its meant for a full blown reef tank.

I use oceanic and I like it. Gives higher calcium readings but it does have a lower alk reading. They all have their pro`s and cons. There is no perfect salt mix but IMO Oceanic is the best out there. It`s all I have used for 15+ yrs.

Back
Top Bottom