Saltwater... Is it hard??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
[
I second that had a BTA and my clown pair hosted the corner of the tank for a long time then moved to my hammer coral and have never left it even through a tank upgrade. They will host any thing they want. Even heard of them hosting a power head.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes but clownfish do not need an anemone, this chart refers to the clownfish natural host anemone in the wild. There is no guarantee that a clownfish will host any your tank. To say your clown will be bored without one is misleading, the OP is someone who is coming here for the first time to get beginner info and encouraging a purchase of an advanced invert like an anemone is not right, just yet...

I'm sorry to stray away from the topic more, but I just want to take this opportunity to learn something and correct me if I'm wrong. The reason for the relationship in the wild with anemone and clown, is because its beneficial to both right? The clown has more exposure to predators which encourages it a lot where in a tank (especially with tank bred clowns) they don't feel as threatened and aren't more apt to host one. I've actually seen a clown in a LFS hosting a type of coral, not sure what type.

I dont think we've bread the "host instinct" out of them just yet And clowns will host almost anything I hope havent scared the OP off 3 pages and not 1 post them.

I'm not sure if I'm helping but I have 2 black OC's that have hosted with 2 different BTA's , my bubble coral, and my frog spawn

I think, at this point, the OP has received several opinions from salties, i dont really see why this thread has turned into a clownfish debate. It seems as though this thread has served its purpose.

I have heard an easy symiotic realtionship is a goby and a pistol shrimp and u could do those in a 20 with a small fish

During the day my clowns hand out in my hammer coral. Which they defiantly do aggressively protect. But at night they sleep in the back corner of the tank. They are very interesting to watch and have really neat personality's. A pistol shrimp and Gobby are also a very cool relationship to watch too.

Attachments

• IMG_0905.jpg
    IMG_0905.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0999.jpg
    IMG_0999.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 87
I have freshwater fish tank but I was thinking about switching over to saltwater. How hard is it to maintain a saltwater aquarium. Just wondering thanks. Thinking about getting clown fish.

I think we forgot who's thread this actually was. Lets get back on topic y'all

Big x2 I've been waiting for him to see the original responses to the topic..
If you have read all the postings, you should have not missed my last comment on page 3 and stated what I think about the original question but somehow it is kept being diverted.

This is what I have said

Going back to the original question of this thread which is if it is hard to tend a salt water tank. Those who said that it is easy are already seasoned aquarists that they know what to look for to avoid disaster in their tank. I bet you, most of them have experienced the hard part in setting up to stabilize a salt water tank. If you have enough info then it would be easy by just following the right steps in having one. For anything that is new to us there is always what we call a "learning curve".

If you have read all the postings, you should have not missed my last comment on page 3 and stated what I think about original question but somehow it is kept being diverted.

This is what I have stated

Going back to the original question of this thread which is if it is hard to tend a salt water tank. Those who said that it is easy are already seasoned aquarists that they know what to look for to avoid disaster in their tank. I bet you, most of them have experienced the hard part in setting up to stabilize a salt water tank. If you have enough info then it would be easy by just following the right steps in having one. For anything that is new to us there is always what we call a "learning curve".

What makes stabilizing a sw tank so hard?

You don't find it hard it you are a seasoned aquarist as mentioned. All it takes for a newby is to do some research and ask questions and it will be easy. Some do it the hard way by a "trial in error" until they get it right.

For the OP: I've been trying to answer that question. Good information in this web series.
I think SW takes a lot more finesse and knowledge. For example, when doing a water change, depending on how you mix the water, you may need to cure it for a few day. In FW, you can just treat and change water. Also, equipment and fish are much more expensive. Some fish may be wild caught and if you are like me and don't want to get wild fish, your options are more limited. You can't get tank raised SW fish for $1 - at least not in my area!

Hope this helps make your decision. Personally, I will stick to FW for a few more years!

Ok folks, one warning, keep it civil and knock off the arguing or the thread will get closed and YOU can apologize the the OP as to why.

I have read that most mistakes is when tap water is used for top off in salt water tank. For fish only the ro water in grocery store is available and cheaper with just a little inconvenience.

I have read that most mistakes is when tap water is used for salt water tank. For fish only the ro water in grocery store is available.

I get my rodi water from a watermill express that's serviced daily and it has a badge with a signature and a date daily. I knew a few guys that work for the company and they actually service everything daily for lawsuit purposes lol it's $0.15 a gallon.

Back
Top Bottom