Saltwater Storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryS

Aquarium Advice Activist
Thought I'd post this after having done some research via Google, etc. and find no definitive answer.

This assumes that container is a Brute trashcan and that specific gravity will be retested to guard against increased concentration from evaporation loss:

• Can artificial saltwater be stored?
  • For how long?
  • Does the container need to be "airtight" or simply covered to keep debris out?
  • Can it be keep stagnant and at room temperature (understanding that it will be brought to tank temperature and "stirred" with pump or whatever prior to pwc)?
Those are the questions that came to mind and I'm sure that there are other considerations.

Saltwater can ceranly be stored but it is recommended to always have an operating waterflow pump or airstone going to keep the water moving..you don't want it to stagnate. As for a cover, a friend of mine left hers open (she used a 45 gallon trashcan for her RO saltwater) but she also had it in a closet so no dust or anything could get in. If it is open air in the house, you are chancing things like dust or chemicals, like from dusting spray or air fresheners, contaminating the water. Room temp is fine and if it is only a degree or two lower than your tank temp, ther s no reason to heat. HTe mixing into the "normal" temp will bring it up enough that it won't stress things.

If you don't have standard water containers, I used to use a Rubbermaid tub. I used a low level powerhead and snaked the cord out of the tub over the handle. I could still lock the lid down.

According to Randy Holmes-Farley......
"I store Instant Ocean for weeks unstirred with no concern. Some mixes may have organics in them (like Reef Crystals) which could theoretically degrade and possibly become anaerobic over time with no aeration."
Letting saltwater in storage container sit - Reef Central Online Community

"weeks" is somewhwat vague... lol...nonetheless very helpful! :thanks:
I'm 14-days into the shelf life (Reef Crystals) unintentional test...
Stored in a closed Brute. Has had a mag 7 for about the first week and only sporadically since then to safe power (it's what I have in hand). Temp mostly at room temperature (66-78)

So, is there a way to test/verify the "freshness?" Or does it start to smell bad??

If you can smell sulfur (rotten eggs), the vitamins/organics in the Reef Crystals have probably gone bad. If it has no smell it should be OK.

Follow-up question below:

According to Randy Holmes-Farley......
"I store Instant Ocean for weeks unstirred with no concern. Some mixes may have organics in them (like Reef Crystals) which could theoretically degrade and possibly become anaerobic over time with no aeration."
Letting saltwater in storage container sit - Reef Central Online Community

By "Reef Crystals", I'm assuming that this is Instant Ocean Reef Crystals and the "Instant Ocean" reference (no organics) is the "non" reef version. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom