Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-18-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Saltwater Storage

Thought I'd post this after having done some research via Google, etc. and find no definitive answer.

This assumes that container is a Brute trashcan and that specific gravity will be retested to guard against increased concentration from evaporation loss:
  • Can artificial saltwater be stored?
  • For how long?
  • Does the container need to be "airtight" or simply covered to keep debris out?
  • Can it be keep stagnant and at room temperature (understanding that it will be brought to tank temperature and "stirred" with pump or whatever prior to pwc)?
Those are the questions that came to mind and I'm sure that there are other considerations.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Saltwater can ceranly be stored but it is recommended to always have an operating waterflow pump or airstone going to keep the water moving..you don't want it to stagnate. As for a cover, a friend of mine left hers open (she used a 45 gallon trashcan for her RO saltwater) but she also had it in a closet so no dust or anything could get in. If it is open air in the house, you are chancing things like dust or chemicals, like from dusting spray or air fresheners, contaminating the water. Room temp is fine and if it is only a degree or two lower than your tank temp, ther s no reason to heat. HTe mixing into the "normal" temp will bring it up enough that it won't stress things.

If you don't have standard water containers, I used to use a Rubbermaid tub. I used a low level powerhead and snaked the cord out of the tub over the handle. I could still lock the lid down.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
According to Randy Holmes-Farley......
"I store Instant Ocean for weeks unstirred with no concern. Some mixes may have organics in them (like Reef Crystals) which could theoretically degrade and possibly become anaerobic over time with no aeration."
Letting saltwater in storage container sit - Reef Central Online Community
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt View Post
"I store Instant Ocean for weeks unstirred with no concern. Some mixes may have organics in them (like Reef Crystals) which could theoretically degrade and possibly become anaerobic over time with no aeration."
"weeks" is somewhwat vague... lol...nonetheless very helpful!
I'm 14-days into the shelf life (Reef Crystals) unintentional test...
Stored in a closed Brute. Has had a mag 7 for about the first week and only sporadically since then to safe power (it's what I have in hand). Temp mostly at room temperature (66-78)

So, is there a way to test/verify the "freshness?" Or does it start to smell bad??
Old 10-18-2011, 09:37 PM   #5
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
If you can smell sulfur (rotten eggs), the vitamins/organics in the Reef Crystals have probably gone bad. If it has no smell it should be OK.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Follow-up question below:

Quote:
By "Reef Crystals", I'm assuming that this is Instant Ocean Reef Crystals and the "Instant Ocean" reference (no organics) is the "non" reef version.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
If you can smell sulfur (rotten eggs), the vitamins/organics in the Reef Crystals have probably gone bad. If it has no smell it should be OK.
Sniff test works!

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com