Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-02-2004, 09:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

scary giant crab - how to safely remove

I'm guilty of not removing all critters from live rock that weren't known to be safe. I left a small crab in the tank when I put the live rock in. Then a week later I realized I shouldn't have...but too late.

Well now its 3 months later...and last night i see the crab dart for a piece of food. This thing's probably 2" diameter body, and has so many hairs on it it could pass for an aquatic tarantula.
I have yet to lose a fish, mushroom or yellow polyp...so this crab doesn't appear to be a danger.
However I'm still afraid he's a ticking time bomb, so I want him out. I'll give him to an LFS in case they can sell it.

will a pair of rubber kitchen gloves keep my hands safe from the crab and any defensive mechanisms he might try to use?

Old 11-02-2004, 09:33 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Mine is about an inch across. Grayish looking and very hairy too. His claws are dark brown. Wondering if we've got the same thing. Mine never puts himself in a position for me to grab him with my hand, so I'm interested in any suggestions others may offer too. Can't get a good pic, so maybe someone recognizes the description and can tell me what it is. My LFS says it's a coral crab from my description. Says it'll get big - 6 inches or so and wreak havoc someday. Now, that's scary!

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 09:47 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

When mine got big they were out in the open more so it was easy to catch them. I used an old algae scraper to place him in a cup and he is now in my 29 gal
Old 11-02-2004, 10:02 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

well, i had 2 im my tank that came w/ my live rock. im pretty sure its the same crab, hairy, blends in very well w/ the rock cuz he has coralline algae on him (or what looks like coralline). anyway, i had a firefish for about 2 weeks - beautiful fish btw - and as you may know they hide in the holes of the lr. so, this **** crab about the size of a quarter, went into the hole, and killed my firefish. i was sooo ticked off. luckily i got that crab but i have another. so i refuse to get another fish until i catch that **** crab!!
Old 11-02-2004, 10:09 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, my wife told me "do not use my kitchen tongs!"

Yep, sounds like the same crab...covered in coralline so you can't hardly see it unless it moves. I'm going to have to pull a lot of live rock to get to him too, which just adds to the annoyance factor. I do think he killed the mantis I had...I haven't heard any clicking in over a month.

Kids...do NOT leave crabs in your live rock!
Old 11-02-2004, 11:24 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
You can try leaning a glass up against your rock and tied down a piece of meat with a rubber band at the bottom. If he goes to get the meat, he will not be able to climb out.
Paitents is the key. it took me 2 weeks to catch my mantis.
I am also trying to catch a suspect crab right now.
Good luck all!!!
Or if you see him in the open, some say you can spear them. (I don't have the heart to do that though).
Old 11-02-2004, 11:26 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

in another thread i have going i lost a new blenny ( our first fish ). we added him because it looked like we were cycled and our cleaning crew was doing really good after a week. when i found the blenny he had his eyes chewed out and a chunk out of his back. i didnt see any hermits near him. i know i left a few crabs in the rock and i think i have a mantis. i hear clicking alot. is it possible that a crab or mantis killed our blenny. he was a pretty small bi color blenny about 1.5" and was hanging out in several holes in the live rock.

any thoughts?
steve r
Old 11-02-2004, 11:32 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Steve, just 'cause the hermits weren't near him when you looked doesn't mean they didn't just find a dead fish and started a buffet line. Hard to say what killed him. The crabs, mantis, or other illness could've killed him.

Kurt, I'll have to try that glass. You talking about a drinking glass? Maybe a tall shot glass would work since I'm sure the trap would have to set in areas where there's a bunch of rock? This fellow doesn't seem to wander too far away from the rock.

What kind of meat? Shrimp?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 11:35 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Re: scary giant crab - how to safely remove

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
This thing's probably 2" diameter body, and has so many hairs on it it could pass for an aquatic tarantula.
Ugh. A harpoon might work, or a shotgun as a last resort.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 11:53 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i figured. just seeing if it was even a possibility that something killed him other than the water. but i think i am just grasping at straws

steve r

Tags
crab

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com