Scooter dragonets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stlrockguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering what everyone's experience with these little guys were. I just got one and he seems to eat whatever I feed the rest of my fish

Watch him closely, I bought mine because he was eating mysis, was happy for about a month then got really skinny and I realized he was no longer eating the mysis... Bought a bottle of pods, but I think it was too little too late. He disappeared overnight about 2 days after I added the pods... Never to be seen again. Not trying to discourage you, I loved mine for the short time I had him, just don't want you going through the same thing I did, it was preventable if I had been watching more closely I would have noticed he had gone off of the mysis. I have a fuge and everything, I guess it just wasnt pod populated enough. Very entertaining fish though, I wish you the very best luck with yours.

I target fed my scooter for almost a month before he was eating frozen food regularly. He ate all the pods in my tank during that month too. You can use a turkey baster with small frozen foods like baby mysis and shoot it gently near the scooter. Then sit and watch. :)

I have a mates pair of scooter Dragonets and multiple times a week I turn my pumps off and feed them frozen mysis and brine shrimp. They let me know when they are hungry cuz they surf the flow on the front glass, also dragonets in the wild eat a copepod every 3-4 seconds for 12hours a day so if you don't think you can replicate that you should reconsider getting one, IMO

I'll provide him whatever he needs to eat. That's mot an issue. I know he's been eating good at the moment. He took to brine and mysis shrimp from the start. Such a cool little guy. I do plan on keeping a stock of pods for him also

Just set up a pod farm for them. They can clean a tank out pretty fast. Key to keeping dragonetts is a reliable food source they can't out eat. Other than that, they are simple to care for.

Back
Top Bottom