Scored a Purple Tang for only $40 + question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeriousDude5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well as you can see in the topic I bought a purple tang for only $40! But, my question is, is that it says they need a minimum of 100gal tank and I only have a 65gal I was wondering if he will be fine in here or will he eventually outgrow it right now its only 2.5 to 3 inches long. But, how large untill I need to get rid of it will I ever need to?

100 gallons is actually a minimum recommendation. A 65 is too small for a purple tang. I would actually not recommend much less than 150 gallons from my research on them.

My purple is in a 120. He's also a pretty tiny fish. I've seen some of these get HUGE! I would guess that you could keep him in the 65 for a year or two but in no time he's going to be 6" and he'll be cramped and cranky (read: agressive).

They're also ich magnets and very likely to contract ich if he's feeling crunched. As a side note, while he was in my 30 he really looked/acted cramped. I could see him *really* enjoying a 6' run.

Well if I have a year to think about it thats wonderful. Its either, get rid of him after a year or get a bigger tank <Already Considering Large>

Do you already have a yellow in that tank? That would change things dramatically. My yellow puts up with the purple, but the purple is small and there is plenty of space for each to have their own in the tank.

Ahhh. Whew. Your RC profile lists the yellow in there too, hence my Q!

Back
Top Bottom