Sea Salt Comparison

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sanchezkk

Aquarium Advice Freak
I presently use Petco Premium Salt for my FOWLR tank. I have been having trouble with my parameters. My nitrates seem to be always at 20 ppm. My friend tells me that Petco brand sea salt is made by a subsidiary of Kent that goes by the name of Aquatic Gardens (previously Catalina).

Can anyone offer any advice or insight concerning this?

I've heard the same regarding the rebranded petco salt. Excessive nitrates really aren't the result of a salt brand at least IME\IMO. Nitrates are the end product of your bioload/feeding.

What's your feeding schedule/amount like?

Once a day to the very most, twice if I notice my smaller fish getting beat out to the food. But that's like happens maybe a few times per month.

If your nitrates are a real issue and your skimmer or other filters can't keep up, I'd think about changing your feeding schedule to every other day. The fish really don't need as much food as we think they do.

AquaRick said:
If your nitrates are a real issue and your skimmer or other filters can't keep up, I'd think about changing your feeding schedule to every other day. The fish really don't need as much food as we think they do.

+1 this seems to be the number one issue when having problems with trates I feed my tank every third day and everyone's plump and happy with 0-5 nitrates after every 3weeks (could probably go longer but need to replenish elements lol)

I am feeding every 3rd day with no problems.

if you are looking for a recomendation on salt I use Red Sea Coral Pro and love it

Bavass,

I have a 55g FOWLR tank. It sounds like the salt you're recommending is for reef setups. Why would I want to use reef salt?

I am simply stating what i use and that i love it. They also make a red sea salt that does not have the higher calcium and alk

And i am saying the red sea already has it in there the reef salt has more for corals because they use it....if u dont have corals then you dont need the extra

The best thing to do with Salt in my opinion is just try different ones and see what fits your tank the best. I tried IO, Coralife, Reef Crystals, Seachem Reef, and once I tried Red Sea Coral Pro my tank seemed to look it best. It takes awhile becuase I had to go through an entire bucket to see the difference in tank.

bavass said:
The best thing to do with Salt in my opinion is just try different ones and see what fits your tank the best. I tried IO, Coralife, Reef Crystals, Seachem Reef, and once I tried Red Sea Coral Pro my tank seemed to look it best. It takes awhile becuase I had to go through an entire bucket to see the difference in tank.

Oh okay. Good idea.

Back
Top Bottom