Seachem Products

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C

cj10488

Ok so seachem sent me a bunch of products do to an issue and I wanted to make sure that everything was OK to use without any bad long term Effects

Seachem Reef Advantage Mg
Seachem Reef Kalk
Garlic Guard
Coral Dip

Has anyone had any bad long term effects or are they all safe to use..

TIA,
James

Also I got the Mg test kit from seachem.. If i tested right which i repeated twice I came out at 2250 My salifert kit shows 1140... I havent tested The Salifert against the Seachem Reference as of yet.. There has to be something wrong with 1 or the other test kit.. Thats a pretty major difference.. What one would you guys trust?

TIA,
James

Ok I tested the Salifert test against the Seachem Reference.. Salifert tested the Reference at 900ppm.. When I tested the Seachem kit against their Reference it came up with 2187.5 this is extremely wierd.. Seachem should have tested at 1350 according to the Reference.. Has anyone else had Experience with the Mg kit from Seachem?

TIA,
James

I have the mg from seachem and mine tests out on my tank at 1200-1250 so I"m assuming it's correct. I'll try the reference tonight or tomorrow morning for you to see if mine is okay. Is yours the mg kit that came in the plastic box with an alk test kit as well?

I also use Seachem Garlic Guard and my fish seem to like it. Not too sure on the other products but I wouldn't mind hearing some others opinions.

Is yours the mg kit that came in the plastic box with an alk test kit as well

Yes it is.. My test kit along with everything else got frozen somehow shipping for Cali to Oregon.. Wierd not even freezing temps in either here nor there.. I am thinking that it might have had something to do with it being frozen.. I trust my Salifert kit so that is what I am going by for the moment... I have started to bring my Mg up from 1050 up to about 1350.. Been Raising it every so often today trying not to Exceed more than like 50ppm but its kinda hard as the RA mg supplement only brings it up by 5ppm per dose Weak...

I also use Seachem Garlic Guard and my fish seem to like it
I soaked some Brine in it earlier and Man did they go nuts over it.. LOL

I plan to drip the kalk tonight and see how everything goes... As for the Coral dip I guess i will just be waiting until I need to use it for some reason..

James

Well I got ahold of Seachem and it seems as though the Freezing of the test kit affected the Titarant solution of both the Mg kit and the Alk part of the kit.. My alk tested at 8meq/l and the mg tested at 2300ppm.. WOW.. LOL Anyways they are sending out a new kit.. Watch out for Frozen Mg/Alk kits LOL

James

Glad you got that Mg kit straightened out. I have been using a Seachem Mg kit for a while and it has performed flawlessly as far as I know.

I also use to dose Seachem Kalk all the time, however, I really don't like the whole "Kalk" idea. Too messy for my tastes. I was also getting constant Ca precipitation on all of my equipment. I switched over to a two part solution and am very happy with those results.

Comment on Seachem.

Love Seachem products - interesting company history too.

I recently added a a good size dose of Purigen (synthetic non ionic) filter matarial to a problem freshwater tank of mine and have been totally shocked by the results. The clarity of the water in this tank looks like it is under 24/7 diatom filtration.

However, favorite test kists are salifert - they are easier to read and haven't let me down yet.

Biggen What two part system are you useing? I was thinking of trying that two part B-ionc from captivereefs.com.

Thanks Dewey

Biggen What two part system are you useing? I was thinking of trying that two part B-ionc from captivereefs.com.

I use the Kent Tech CB A & B additives http://www.kentmarine.com/html/tcb.html. They are extremely easy to use. When I mix my fresh batch of SW for a water change, I adjust the Alk/CA to the same levels that are in my tank (400 ppm CA, 8-9 DKH). Then I simply dose one capful a day from each of the additives to the main tank and it maintains those levels.

It is pretty straightforward. One thing to be aware about with these additives is that they typically contain excess salts. You can actually raise the salinity in your tank if you either don't do regular water changes or remove some of the SW and replace it with FW. Since I do water changes once every two weeks, I don't have this problem.

Back
Top Bottom