Seahorse Care and Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4enzix

Aquarium Advice Regular
i was wondering if there are some people out there that have experience with seahorse care and breeding? How well do they ship? whats the best method to get them feeding and the most healthy? What are the best methods for breeding and rearing the fry? what books out there are good for this information?

i am looking into breeding seahorses to sell through my lfs as im an employee there:) so i can order them and order anything else i need for them but do want to do so properly and at the best conditions for the horses...

also what are the best species for healthiness, feeding and breeding?

any recommendations? TIA

dont worry im not a beginner ... and i AM NOT planning this to be a project just done on the spurr of the moment either... which is precisely why im asking for help atm... i want to know if anyone has any odd experiences or somethign i should know and i still plan on doing lots of reading and getting in touch wiht the one guy in my area that actually does breed seahorses

I just got two seahorses myself. The best advice I can give you on feeding is to be sure to get captive bred specimens. Mine were eating frozen mysid the first day here with me. You pay more for cb horses but in my opinion, it's well worth it.

Your going to have a hard time getting them in Canada. I also suggest seahorse.org because I am working up getting a pair of H. erectus.

though i wouldnt do a hex tank.. i may order me like a 54 tall... would u recommend sumps? or whats THE best filtration

Because Seahorses are easily seseptable to parasites a uv sterilizer is needed. Rule of thumb for hight needed for a tank for them is 3 times their hight. A sump/fuge would be good, and you would want to keep your flow no higher than 5 times the tank volume an hour. The same rules for live rock apply, around 1.5lbs per gallon. You may also need a chiller depending on what spiecies you decide on.

I don't mean to bump, but Hara I just read your profile. Holy moly, you have a lot of tanks! That's awesome. I'm jealous! :wink:

suthernsalt said:
Could you keep a pair of sea horses in a nano cube?

If you mean the 12 gallon then no, but if you mean the 24, then probably as long as you alter the flow to allow a slower flow rate.

Back
Top Bottom