Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-29-2011, 02:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 28
Seahorses and corals (2 questions)

I have a 30 gallon tank, with about 30-35 lbs of live rock and a sand bottom. There's a small power head installed toward the bottom of the tank, plus a HOB filter and a protein skimmer. All of my water parmeters seem to test pretty ok with a liquid test kit (only the nitrates are ever a little high [10-20]).

In the tank, I have a pair of erectus seahorses (which have been in there for about 6 months), along with a blenny and a cardinal. Everyone seems to be doing great.

So, here are my questions:

1. Is it possible to add a second pair of seahorses to a tank like this? I have seen some sources that say only 1 pair, but others that say 2 are ok. I assume that I would need to get rid of the cardinal and the blenny to avoid overstocking (yes?).

2. I have several varieties of coral, and have recently added a brain coral - which some sources seem to suggest could sting my sh's, and others express no reservations at all about. Does anyone have any opinions on the Brain Corals? So far, I don't see any problems (a week or so), but the conflicting information makes me wonder.

OK, thanks!
__________________

__________________
Mr. Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gti_Leo's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto,Ontario
Posts: 3,021
it all depends on the seahorse and coral but i think most brains are pretty peaceful.

as far as adding anotehr pair, i say don't the pair you have an the blenny and cardinal are already to much for a 30g
__________________

__________________
Gti_Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 28
Thanks, Leo. I continue not to see any evidence of trouble with the Brain, so I think you're probably right.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you about the stocking question, however. I can't see how the sh's plus the blenny and the cardinal add up to a too-high bio load for this tank.

I test my water at least once a week (with the same liquid test kit that everyone says is the only worthwhile way to do it), and everything comes back perfect (except occasionally, when my Nitrates get a little above zero). Plus, all of the fish are active and feed very well (that's been the case since December, when I added the sh's), and I have 6 different kinds of coral filling up the tank, all of which are healthy - and in many cases, spreading.

So, if the possible bad effects of overstocking are bad water quality and unhealthy livestock, I just can't see any compelling evidence that there are too many fish in the tank. My water is perfect almost all of the time, and my fish and corals are all thriving.

Seriously and non-rhetorically, is there some other aspect of this that I'm missing? Believe me, I'm under no impression that I know everything, or that I'm the best aquarium owner in the world - I'm always happy to learn new things. But, to whatever degree I have managed to understand the hobby so far - and I think I'm doing a pretty good job - I just can't see how there's actually a stocking problem in my tank.

After all, half of the the reason for this op was that there are several seahorse-keeping websites out there that indicate 4 seahorses may be possible in a 30g, and 4 seahorses certainly makes up more inches of fish per gallon than I'm currently working with.

So for all of those reasons, I feel like your recommendation might be a little on the conservative side.

Anyway, OK - I'll continue to consider the suggestion, if admittedly with some skepticism. Thanks again. I really so appreciate the input very much.

Best regards,

--Bill
__________________
Mr. Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 1,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Quint
I have a 30 gallon tank, with about 30-35 lbs of live rock and a sand bottom. There's a small power head installed toward the bottom of the tank, plus a HOB filter and a protein skimmer. All of my water parmeters seem to test pretty ok with a liquid test kit (only the nitrates are ever a little high [10-20]).

In the tank, I have a pair of erectus seahorses (which have been in there for about 6 months), along with a blenny and a cardinal. Everyone seems to be doing great.

So, here are my questions:

1. Is it possible to add a second pair of seahorses to a tank like this? I have seen some sources that say only 1 pair, but others that say 2 are ok. I assume that I would need to get rid of the cardinal and the blenny to avoid overstocking (yes?).

2. I have several varieties of coral, and have recently added a brain coral - which some sources seem to suggest could sting my sh's, and others express no reservations at all about. Does anyone have any opinions on the Brain Corals? So far, I don't see any problems (a week or so), but the conflicting information makes me wonder.

OK, thanks!
If you feel you you wont be overstocked by adding two more sea horses then why ask the question.. then answer it for yourself when someone says yes? As for two pair you should be fine in a 30 gallon.. yes I would ditch the cardnial and pick up a good small goby like a diamond to keep ur sand clean.. im sure you have alot of left over food on it after feeding them
. Let's be honest they are not the fastest eaters.. for the blenny what kind? The brain will be fine in there and imho u can't over stock corals so plug away next time u get the urge to buy something.
__________________
jsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 1,102
And yes u are over stocked .. am I of course.. but I will say one thing in a small 30. Gallon when the donkey poop hits your box fan its going to cover the walls. You should be worried about lossing serveral hundred dollars on 4. Sh. Therefore even if u feel your not, error on the side of caution.
__________________
jsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 28
J,

I think you've misunderstood me - or maybe I didn't word the question clearly.

I DON'T think I'm overstocked NOW, and that wasn't my question in the op. My question was:

"Can 4 sh's go in a 30g - and then secondarily, I'm pretty sure the cardinal and the blenny would need to go, to make room for the sh's, IF I ADDED THEM, doesn't everyone agree?'

On the primary question, some sources seem to think 4 sh's are ok in a 30g, but others seem to think not, which is why I'm asking.

Apologies to everyone, if the original question didn 't come out the way I wanted it. Darned printed word. Stupid poor writing skills.

As for the eating stuff, you're right. they are slow eaters, but I feed the whole tank a half a frozen block of Mysis shrimp, twice a day with all of the pumps off, after which I turn everything on for about 10 seconds to stir up the detritus, which seems to get most of the food eaten. Whatever is left the cleaners do a nice job with. the whole thing seems to work ok so far. All 4 fish more-or-less eat from my hands. It's kind of cool.
__________________
Mr. Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 1,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Quint
J,

I think you've misunderstood me - or maybe I didn't word the question clearly.

I DON'T think I'm overstocked NOW, and that wasn't my question in the op. My question was:

"Can 4 sh's go in a 30g - and then secondarily, I'm pretty sure the cardinal and the blenny would need to go, to make room for the sh's, IF I ADDED THEM, doesn't everyone agree?'

On the primary question, some sources seem to think 4 sh's are ok in a 30g, but others seem to think not, which is why I'm asking.

Apologies to everyone, if the original question didn 't come out the way I wanted it. Darned printed word. Stupid poor writing skills.

As for the eating stuff, you're right. they are slow eaters, but I feed the whole tank a half a frozen block of Mysis shrimp, twice a day with all of the pumps off, after which I turn everything on for about 10 seconds to stir up the detritus, which seems to get most of the food eaten. Whatever is left the cleaners do a nice job with. the whole thing seems to work ok so far. All 4 fish more-or-less eat from my hands. It's kind of cool.
To answer your primary question .. 4 in your 30 is absolutly fine I've seen it many times.. I've even seen 6 in one 30 gallon... If. I were you the only thing id do would change out the card for a nice sand shifting goby to take care of the ditrus for ya... make sure u keep doing what ur doing.. I know sea horses are pretty picky when it come to nitrate.. but in my experince if u can handel a pair for 6 monthes ur doing somthing right...
__________________
jsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 28
Thanks, J. I hear what you are saying, but the whole thing is stable and I monitor it constantly.

Unless I'm missing something - which is possible, as I have granted - the proof of good maintenance and proper stocking levels is kind in the pudding, as they say. My water's good and my fish are all healthy. So, I'm pretty confident that I'm stocked appropriately.

As I said though, I'll take it under advisement. And I promise that I'll post an update saying that you guys were right if things go sideways.
__________________
Mr. Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:15 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 1,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Quint
Thanks, J. I hear what you are saying, but the whole thing is stable and I monitor it constantly.

Unless I'm missing something - which is possible, as I have granted - the proof of good maintenance and proper stocking levels is kind in the pudding, as they say. My water's good and my fish are all healthy. So, I'm pretty confident that I'm stocked appropriately.

As I said though, I'll take it under advisement. And I promise that I'll post an update saying that you guys were right if things go sideways.
And like I stated I too am overstocked but I keep it running great with more frequent water changes then most ... but your soon too be 4 sh will cost more then all my fish..
__________________
jsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:23 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 28
J, based on our previous discussion, 6 sh's in a 30g must clearly be insane, no? That HAS to be an overstocking problem just waiting to happen. I mean, if both of us agree that 4 plus a blenny and a cardinal would be too much, then 6 sh's seems completely nutty.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I will make it 4. I like the fish that I have, and it makes me sad to think of turning them over to the LFS, just to make room for a couple of horsey-come-latelies. I'm just wondering about the whole thing.

You might be surprised how cheaply sh's can be had. My pair only cost me 30 a piece, and they're clearly cb, because they took to frozen shrimp instantly, and have never refused a feeding. They're not the fancy kind, but they are fun to watch and they make nice pets. If you like them, I'd say give it a shot.

Just be careful not to overstock

Here's a last thing, since you mentioned corals: Have you ever done Gorgonians or Sea Fans? Obviously, they would be ideal hitching-places for the seahorses, although I haven't treid adding them yet. Are they any trickier to keep than other, easier corals?
__________________

__________________
Mr. Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
coral, corals, seahorse, seahorses

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.