should i get the filter out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChrisB

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im wondering if i should discontinue using my rena xp3 canister filter. I have two power sweep 228 pumping 270 gallons an hour each and an aqua c remora pro skimmer. My cleaning crew will expand with additional hermits, shrimp, and snails within the next two weeks since i have an order from the lfs (If yall say this is ok I wouldnt take the filter out for a week or two any way). I have 101 pounds of marshall rock so that is almost 1.5 pounds per gallon. ive read these can be a nitrate source and Ive read that how much lr i have is a good enough filter. i may end up just putting some charcoal in it and take everything else out (i havent got the charcoal in right now bty) so give me a yes or no. bty my levels are at zero right now so im not having a problem with nitrates, though just recently have my nitrates been 0. before they were around 20.

TIA

Its your choice do you need it IMO no, can u use it every once in a while for carbon only yes... LR is the best filtration.....

I figured. thanks for your advice. Ill just keep it unplugged so if the tank screws up ill just plug it in

ChrisB said:
I figured. thanks for your advice. Ill just keep it unplugged so if the tank screws up ill just plug it in

Be careful, Canisters can start going anaerobic in as little as an hour.

Back
Top Bottom