side tank fuge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbarb1111

Aquarium Advice Regular
I planning a fuge that will be in a cabinet beside my main tank(30 gallon) and 3 inches higher. It will hold about 6 gallons and be made of acrylic. i am going to use a powerhead to pump the water into the fuge 1/2 inch bulkhead (same level as return)and install a 3/4 inch bulkhead near the top of the fuge as a gravity return. I am concerned about floods since the tank is in a home office and would cause a ton of damage. What types of things do i have to worry about if the power goes off?(reverse siphon) also how do i protect the return so that it does not get plugged with anything in the fuge. I am more worried that the fuge will overflow and not the display tank. Any suggestions or comments???

You want the fuge to be higher than the tank? You might run into problems with flooding. Will your drain from your fuge to your tank be gravity fed from a bulkhead, or were you thinking of doing a 2-pump setup?

I don't have room behind the tank for a hang on only 3" to wall.

The top of the fuge will be 3 inches higher than the tank. I was planning on putting in 2 bulkheads on different ends of the tank and exactly the same level near the top. The return will be gravity fed and a powerhead will supply the water to the fuge.

ok. this is exaclty the way i set up my fuge. first off i had to raise the fuge a cupple of inches for it to work. ive actualy had a flood but not because of the fuge(the filter supplying the fuge) but to be carful i have 3 overflows that go back to the fuge, that way if one gets pluged the others will still work. i found that only one will feel like its working but they all work. also as an extra precaution to floods you could put the pump to the fuge high up close to the top of the water level. that way if water did start to flood, it could only spill enough water to drop the water level back down to the pump and only really spill 1 or 2 gal (it will also help keep oil slicks from forming on the top of the water)
hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom